Does your Filipina Wife let you shop at the Palengke (Market)?

Gas
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

There is also an "exact change law" in the Philippines. If the cashier or taxi driver does not give you the exact change, they could face a fine. It applies down to the last centavo. No exceptions.

Yep, we have a potful of 5 and 10 cents coins in the house. They are useful as washers if you happen to need any in a emergency.

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Gas said:

Yep, we have a potful of 5 and 10 cents coins in the house. They are useful as washers if you happen to need any in a emergency.

Anything under 1 peso I put in the charity box.I already have enough washers.

• Like 5

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2017 at 10:19 PM, robert k said:

I would negotiate when I went to the market, not so much because the money mattered but they don't respect you if you don't. I have even had some give me an unasked for discount on the second time I purchased from them and I suspect I was paying at least close to what a local would. If I ask how much at the market and they quote a price higher than in the hypermart? I just pass on and buy at hypermart. I don't mind negotiating but I don't want to be there all day. Refusing to buy, or negotiate is a form of negotiation, but a slow one. You might stop by several time over a month and ask how much? They will eventually realize they are losing business any day they don't sell out.

Bingo.  I go with my wife to the market regularly when we visit the Philippines.  She know the prices and I'll bargain with the venders also.  She and I don't like the price we go to the next vender.  Many times we'll have our mother in law with us and she's well known so they don't try to Jack up the prices.  Another thing I've learned over the years is to shop really early when the market first opens.  The venders (most of them) think the first customer of the day is lucky and you get some good deals.  Only three years left until I retire.  Thank God!

Edited by Balisidar
Spelling
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gas said:

Thanks for the link.  Its one of those things I had to see to believe because I have seen signs that say "exact change only" and I now know they are illegal signs. 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gas said:

I don't like the centavo coins either but I do keep them. I give my wife the peso coins for stepsons daily jeepney and tricycle fare to and from home to school. I like to give the centavo coins back to cashiers. Sometimes I give quite a few just to unload them. They have to take them. Cashiers do mot like to give coins so they round off and instead ask you "sir, do you have 1 peso". I smile and say " yes, but I need them for jeepney". Early in the morning vendors, taxi drivers and jeepney drivers do not have change to give so it is better to be prepared with exact change. 

But, yeah if you try to give the boys begging for money the loose centavos, they would probably throw them at you. That's what my wife says. 

I really do not know why they do not round off prices and eliminate centavos. If there is one laying in the street, I'll bet no one will pick it up. Some times I do and my wife is embarrassed and scolds me. :smile:

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Anything under 1 peso I put in the charity box.I already have enough washers.

Since I always wear 'cargo' shorts I have 2 change pockets. My 'normal' pocket I keep p5 coins only so I always have and can easily give to the parking guy. The other gets everything else which I use as I can as I make purchases. Funny how little things can make life simpler LOL.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

But, yeah if you try to give the boys begging for money the loose centavos, they would probably throw them at you. That's what my wife says. 

My friend does this on the boulevard here and the beggars have stopped asking him.Good result I say as they can at times be very annoying. 

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

That will be me, find a coffee shop and wait!!!  Watch the passers by.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 6/13/2017 at 11:29 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

I agreed to never step foot into a Palengke again.

Me too.  Now the merkado I will go to :hystery:

It took me a while but I finally figured out you are in an area where they use Tagalog and in this area no one uses the Tagalog word for a market.

• Like 1