Philippine Retirement Authority

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, robert k said:

Did I hear right that SRRV people pay $300 USD a year? Plus $1400 USD for combined application and case worker fees? Then have to deposit the X0,000 USD required in the time account?

Is not the tourist visa and ACR-I Card about $400 a year, sans express lane fees? Which of course would also require a trip out of the country every 3 years which could range from the trip you were taking to your country of origin anyway...or a cheap flight to HK or KL?

The SRRV may be a great deal if you use most or all of the benefits, I just don't think I would use enough of them. The $1,400 USD application cost would pay for several trips out of the country to the cheapest destination...every 3 years. 

I have heard one person who had to leave suddenly to go back to their country of origin for medical reasons have had hell getting their deposit back.

Just questions I have and points to ponder.

It depends on which version of the SRRV a person qualifies for. As a US Veteran my up front costs would be about usd3,000 which covers the application fee and usd1,500 deposit. The annual fee is then usd10.

*edit* here is the chart for the different versions of SRRV available.

SRRV Program

Edited by AlwaysRt
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

It depends on which version of the SRRV a person qualifies for. As a US Veteran my up front costs would be about usd3,000 which covers the application fee and usd1,500 deposit. The annual fee is then usd10.

That courtesy visa does make it somewhat more appealing, I think, If one qualifies for it. Veteran, Check! But I don't have a pension. My income fluctuates wildly. Path of least resistance seems right for me for the foreseeable future.:89:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The SRRV is a great deal if you are a military veteran. One big benefit is the one time opportunity to ship in your household goods with no customs fees. I know someone who obtained the SRRV. Only took him 3 or 4 months and he had a representative from the PRA assisting him.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/13/2017 at 9:07 PM, AlwaysRt said:

There are several members on the SRRV Visa which is obtained through the PRA (1st tab in your link for more information). I can't help much more than that, while I have considered going that route, I have not personally don so yet.

I gave it a good look also, but $10kUS deposit did not suit me, especially when I discovered that getting it back can be a problem!  But the overall cost does not encourage participation - if it were more reasonable, then I would be a definite starter.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.  But seems to me that the  SRRV is geared more to the single person?  If married to a Philippine citizen, the 13A would be the easiest and cheapest way to go.  Are there some benefits of the SRRV over the 13A that would make it better for that married person?:89:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Are there some benefits of the SRRV over the 13A that would make it better for that married person?

I know a married guy that is on the SRRV. He said it was because he still works and travels a lot.  On a 13a you have to pay a "Return Authorization" fee (p2,880) to keep your 13a active while out of the country. The return authorization is good for one year, but single use. He travels every 3 or 4 months and the SRRV allows in and out privileges. For me that would not be a problem as I leave the country quite rarely.  For him it would be a huge expense.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

Are there some benefits of the SRRV over the 13A that would make it better for that married person?

There is another benefit. You qualify for the SRRV while your spouse qualifies for for the 13A. If something happens to her before you and you are on the SRRV, your immigration status is unchanged. If something happens to her before you and you are on a 13A, you lose it and need to move to a different Visa. 

3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

especially when I discovered that getting it back can be a problem!  But

I believe that was due to a unique circumstance of having left the country due to medical issues and not being able to return. It seems the you have to apply for/collect your deposit in person. That is the only instance I have heard of where there was a problem. (not that I am an expert or anything, just interested in the topic as it is an option for me)

• Like 3