The American Military is in Marawi!

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

How can this happen when Duterte has always spoken against the presence of the US military in the Philippines?

So far, there are reports of American spy planes, drones and advisors in (and around) Marawi.

(However) ”Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Sunday he was not aware the U.S. government was providing assistance to government troops in its battle against Islamist militants in a southern city.”

“Duterte also said he "never approached America" for help.”

"I am not aware of that until they arrived," Duterte told a media briefing when asked about U.S. support to fight the pro-Islamic State militants in MarawiCity.

Can anyone figure this out?

Plus, who benefits from the American involvement in Mindanao?... the Philippines?... the USA?... or both?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-militants-duterte-idUSKBN1920FO

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/157864/us-spy-planes-helping-philippine-troops-marawi

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

We read about this, but I wonder if other countries also have military observers in the area.  Where are the Russians?  The Chinese?  Do they also have observers or advisers in the area but they have kept out of the news?  Duterte has been sucking up to anyone who may be able to help him.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Duterte told American troops on the ground to leave. The US and Philippines NEVER said they wouldn't still cooperate against terrorism, in fact Trump and Duterte have both mentioned collaborating against terrorism since the ground troops have left. The US Navy still makes port calls. That was a Navy P3 Orion. I think the Navy is just being a good neighbor and loaning the Philippines a cup of intel.:smile:

The OP almost sounds aggrieved that a US Navy plane is flying overhead lending a hand.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

4 off topic posts hidden until admin reviews.  Gentlemen, while some wandering off topic is unavoidable. I hope you will do your best to confine you responses to the topic at hand.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

4 off topic posts hidden until admin reviews.  Gentlemen, while some wandering off topic is unavoidable. I hope you will do your best to confine you responses to the topic at hand.

Dave, was not the first wandering post by the OP? Sorry, don't want to make more work for you but I'm curious if you are accusing the OP of hijacking his own thread?

Edited by robert k

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

The US embassy announced at the weekend that special operations forces were providing assistance in Marawi, but gave no details.

Capture.JPG

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

It's not a big deal that Duterte didn't know the US was helping. Presumably Duterte has appointed someone to handle such things? Or maybe he knew but wouldn't confirm it because of operational security. Terrorists watch the news too.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, robert k said:

It's not a big deal that Duterte didn't know the US was helping. Presumably Duterte has appointed someone to handle such things? Or maybe he knew but wouldn't confirm it because of operational security. Terrorists watch the news too.

Yes, Duterte did know. So did the terrorists. Hence, the paint splattered hate signs on walls in Davao " US TROOPS GO HOME"

• Like 1