Off topic posts

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, robert k said:

The OP almost sounds aggrieved that a US Navy plane is flying overhead lending a hand.

I am not aggrieved—however, American intervention has not always been a good thing.

Just look at Iraq and see how America may have created ISIS by destabilizing the government (and the region).

At the age of 63, I still remember how I was told that if the Communist won in Vietnam, the rest of Southeast Asia (and maybe the rest of the World) would become Communist.

We left Vietnam and the Communist took over the country in 1975 but Southeast Asia has not suffered as a result. Plus, the idea of world-wide Communism is almost dead.

robert k
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I am not aggrieved—however, American intervention has not always been a good thing.

Just look at Iraq and see how America may have created ISIS by destabilizing the government (and the region).

At the age of 63, I still remember how I was told that if the Communist won in Vietnam, the rest of Southeast Asia (and maybe the rest of the World) would become Communist.

We left Vietnam and the Communist took over the country in 1975 but Southeast Asia has not suffered as a result. Plus, the idea of world-wide Communism is almost dead.

Wow, don't tell a Cambodian that they didn't suffer!

We created ISIS...by pulling out of Iraq prematurely. When we pulled out, ISIS had 700 adherents in one country and were on the run. Pull out and a few years later there are more than 1 million in more than 32 countries. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! Note we did NOT pull out of Afghanistan? I believe that is because someone hoped it would turn into a meat grinder like it did for the Russians...which thankfully hasn't happened. Some casualties but not nearly to the same extent.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, robert k said:

Wow, don't tell a Cambodian that they didn't suffer!

Yes, Cambodia suffered with the death of 2 million civilians by the Khmer Rouge… but it was not because America withdrew from Vietnam.

On the contrary, the suffering of the Cambodians (under the Khmer Rouge) was a result of America’s continued involvement in fighting Communism in Southeast Asia. Cambodia’s suffering (under the Khmer Rouge) began to end with America’s withdrawal from its fight in Vietnam.

To clear up my point, it was a good thing for America to leave Vietnam. There was less suffering in Cambodia when the Vietnamese (as a unified country) fought a war with the Khmer Rouge to restore some type of normalcy in Cambodia.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Yes, Cambodia suffered with the death of 2 million civilians by the Khmer Rouge… but it was not because America withdrew from Vietnam.

On the contrary, the suffering of the Cambodians (under the Khmer Rouge) was a result of America’s continued involvement in fighting Communism in Southeast Asia. Cambodia’s suffering (under the Khmer Rouge) began to end with America’s withdrawal from its fight in Vietnam.

To clear up my point, it was a good thing for America to leave Vietnam. There was less suffering in Cambodia when the Vietnamese (as a unified country) fought a war with the Khmer Rouge to restore some type of normalcy in Cambodia.

I'm not responsible for your history lesson. If all you know is what the evening news told you, you are not particularly well informed. Vietnam invaded Cambodia, multiple times and took control. Vietnam invaded China with a mech armored division and demanded that China return them. China replied, what mech armored division? Vietnam was not a good neighbor for years after the war. There were forces opposing Pol Pot and they were doing a credible job, but Vietnam wanted their puppet to be leader. China also invaded Vietnam because Vietnam invaded Cambodia. Vietnam is a promising capitalist country now to all appearances.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/04/06/world/vietnam-promises-troops-will-leave-cambodia-by-fall.html

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1