Tower fire- Passing the buck UK style

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When I opened this thread, I mentioned that this is just my speculation that it "may" be terror related and could possible inspire future terrorist plots.

What I am reading here and in the news is that modern high rises should not be possible to burn like that if the building is built to code and all the materials are of code quality.

So does everyone here feel safe living in a high-rise now? (One thats properly built to current building codes I mean.)  What if some lunatic did set off a bomb in his second story apartment?  Would proper building construction contain the blast/fire to a limited area?  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So does everyone here feel safe living in a high-rise now? (One thats properly built to current building codes I mean.)  What if some lunatic did set off a bomb in his second story apartment?  Would proper building construction contain the blast/fire to a limited area?  

:huh: I think I am Safer in My detached Place on Terra Firma :thumbsup:

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I opened this thread, I mentioned that this is just my speculation that it "may" be terror related and could possible inspire future terrorist plots.

What I am reading here and in the news is that modern high rises should not be possible to burn like that if the building is built to code and all the materials are of code quality.

They should make a movie about how dangerous high rise buildings can be.... call it "Towering Inferno" or something like that...

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have just found this and it confirms what JP wrote earlier.

According to local blog, the Grenfell Action Group, residents of Grenfell Tower had “warned the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea who own this property and the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation who supposedly manage all social housing in RBKC on the Council’s behalf” about fire safety issues eight times over the last three years on their blog.

“We have posted numerous warnings in recent years about the very poor fire safety standards at Grenfell Tower and elsewhere in RBKC,” they write, adding “all our warnings fell on deaf ears”.

One excerpt said that “only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord”…. “and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders”.

A comment on another blog posted in 2015 warned: “Let’s hope we won’t have any serious fires on any of those estates because it appears that someone’s death is possibly the only thing that might stir the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation out of its extreme complacency.”

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

6 deaths so far, All rooms were fireproof from the inside, only problem it was the cladding outside that spead the fire.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately we have become used to terrorists causing damage like this but it appears to 'only' be stupidity, likely on a criminal level?

This was very very bad.

CNN London

London (CNN)London's Metropolitan Police say at least 12 people have died in a huge blaze that engulfed a residential high-rise in west London on Wednesday morning. Authorities added that the number is expected to rise and police do not anticipate finding any more survivors.

Follow the latest developments below.

June 14, 2017 3:57am BST

What we know:

Our live coverage has now ended. But here is a quick catch up of the latest developments:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

put the thought in the minds of future terrorists.

This was one of my first thoughts.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I certainly feel safe in my condo building. The thing is who will ever know how big a bomb could be and we can not expect material things to protect us from everything but if systems are in place such as regular maintenance like smoke alarm checks which are done in my building, fire alarm checks etc then thats the best we can hope for.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

They should make a movie about how dangerous high rise buildings can be.... call it "Towering Inferno" or something like that...

I can't imagine anyone watching a movie with a title like that.  Maybe call it "Tall Building on Fire" instead.  That would make more sense to those of us with a limited vocabulary.  :hystery:

• Like 4

Kuya M
Posted
Posted

Several Filipinos were taken to hospital(s) due to their injuries. Some people are saying that the injured Filipinos lived in the burning building.

"Wala tayong konkretong datos kung ilan talaga silang nakatira diyan, pero 'yung mga anecdotal account ng mga kababayan natin nagsasabi na marami silang nakatira doon."

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/pinoyabroad/614520/pinoys-among-those-hurt-in-london-tower-blaze-embassy/story/

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow unlocked this topic