Tower fire- Passing the buck UK style

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

I work in Facilities Management (maintenance) and have done my entire career, last 10 years in the middle east...................... I live in a low rise building, not high rise.  Does that tell you something???......................

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

I live in a low rise building, not high rise.  Does that tell you something???...

ACROPHOBIA?????

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

ACROPHOBIA?????

IN London, I doubt it, not enough open Spaces But...............:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Sky News at noon , UK time.    One Filipina listed as still missing in the tower block. Named as  Ligaya Moore.

If moderator thinks it is inappropriate to name the person, please delete.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

The tower block fire in the heart of London is barely out and yet the Borough Council are already trying to find someone else to take the blame.

There are approximately 4000 of these type tower blocks across the UK, some of them that are not required to have sprinkler systems,

because they were built prior to new safety regulations being introduced.

During restoration a cladding fitted to the exterior of the building, is being deem the clause of the fire spreading so quickly.

It remains to be seen who will be blamed for the lost of life and the injured survivors and how quickly the other blocks will be improved.

What lessons can be learnt from this and how do our USA forum members recall any similar situations in the high rise blocks of American cities.

Surely the expertise of American architecture, regarding safety of  high rise buildings should of been taken into consideration at the time

these buildings were built or indeed at the time of restoration.

Edited by Kuya John
clarifying and paragraphing
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

The tower block fire in the heart of London is barely out and yet the Borough Council are already trying to find someone else to take the blame.

There are approximately 4000 of these type tower blocks across the UK, some of them that are not required to have sprinkler systems,

because they were built prior to new safety regulations being introduced.

During restoration a cladding fitted to the exterior of the building, is being deem the clause of the fire spreading so quickly.

It remains to be seen who will be blamed for the lost of life and the injured survivors and how quickly the other blocks will be improved.

What lessons can be learnt from this and how do our USA forum members recall any similar situations in the high rise blocks of American cities.

Surely the expertise of American architecture, regarding safety of  high rise buildings should of been taken into consideration at the time

these buildings were built or indeed at the time of restoration.

Unfortunately John passing the buck in the UK construction industry is a regular occurrence.It usually ends with the tradesman being blamed by the architect or likewise shifting blame when it is their job to make sure the correct materials/procedures are carried out.

I have seen/experienced this quite a few times on building sites when I was working there.It is usually saving money or the top peoples ego that causes it.

There are 4 managers who look after that building and they should be held responsible along with the overseer who was in charge of the works.A tradesman usually knows which materials are suitable but then is over ridden by people above him/her.

I hope they don`t sweep this under the rug especially with the stories of people who were living there who have been voicing their concerns for quite a few years.

I have read that Teresa May has said they will be a full inquiry,well I hope that is not a whitewash as has happened so many times before. 

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

It's very sad because it is preventable. In the US, many fire control features are mandatory in the building codes and are inspected during construction. Buildings like these must have sprinklers, for example. And there are other fire suppressing methods used in construction. Special fire walls, gaps in openings through which pipes and conduits pass must be sealed up with fire suppressing material, and doubtless more I don't know about personally.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Given that they don't seem to have found the Seat of the Fire yet, Are we not still in the "Speculation" stage. I am sure all the Post on this 

with the Safety aspect will come to light better when they have found the cause

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am still looking to see what CAUSED the blaze and I am not finding answers.  Latest report I can find on CNN news is "Questions remain over how the fire began" so as soon as someone has a link to the source of the fire (arson, accident, etc) I should like to see that link.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow unlocked this topic