OJT takes advantage of Filipino workers

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I think this has come up before and I mentioned that I did my "on the job training" in Canada for 6 weeks back in the 1970s and there was no pay for it.  So the concept is not new, its just that Philippines has not kept up with the way things work in the First World . .  which is probably why First World companies are closing shops and moving the jobs here.  C'est la vie!

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Our family member said it was very rare for that resort to actually hire a new employee when they could get someone educated who would work one year for nothing.

That doesn't sound legal. OJT ( On Job Training ) should be paid a wage for the work provided. 

I think President Duterte is even trying to abolish "contractualization". 

My wife said that hospitals will hire a nurse but without pay for a certain amount of time until she can prove that she can do the work. The certain amount of time is at the discretion of the hospital. 

The regular full time nurses are underpaid and overworked but need the job.

In the states an RN would make a lot of money just regular hours. Then, add time and a half for over time and double time on top of that. Then double time and a half in some cases.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think this has come up before and I mentioned that I did my "on the job training" in Canada for 6 weeks back in the 1970s and there was no pay for it.  So the concept is not new, its just that Philippines has not kept up with the way things work in the First World . .  which is probably why First World companies are closing shops and moving the jobs here.  C'est la vie!

In the states, even "internships" get paid by the company that hires them.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

In the states, even "internships" get paid by the company that hires them.

Now, yes.  In the past?  I guess it depends how far back you go.  But this is not the States, although there are many jobs here that would still be IN the States if the companies had to pay here what they pay in the USA.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

there are many jobs here that would still be IN the States if the companies had to pay here what they pay in the USA.

OUTSOURCING

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

That doesn't sound legal. OJT ( On Job Training ) should be paid a wage for the work provided. 

I think President Duterte is even trying to abolish "contractualization". 

My wife said that hospitals will hire a nurse but without pay for a certain amount of time until she can prove that she can do the work. The certain amount of time is at the discretion of the hospital. 

The regular full time nurses are underpaid and overworked but need the job.

In the states an RN would make a lot of money just regular hours. Then, add time and a half for over time and double time on top of that. Then double time and a half in some cases.

At the very least they should be paid expenses.My friend had to bankroll his relative to do this.I think they should put a limit on how many people they can have on OJT without employing some on a regular wage.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Our family member said it was very rare for that resort to actually hire a new employee when they could get someone educated who would work one year for nothing.

Of course this not just in the Philippines way back in 80's the UK had what was then the YOP (Youth Opportunity programme) Probably renamed now to hide the same thing but I have a nephew who did  5 (yes) Five years on this programme at Different Locations and now at 21 he has just got his First Full time Job. Guess where? Yep at the very first Place he did it as a YOP, On Interview they said to him that he must of Learned a Lot over the Years and so that was a deciding Factor to Employ him. I agree that the PI do need to buck their Ideas up about this OJT thing. It can work for for many but their has to be some way of meeting in the Middle, even if it is Travel and Uniform allowances But then, that will cost the Employer.............................:571c66d400c8c_1(103): but that would never do EH?

JMHO

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Here we have student teaching..........they pay full tuition to work 1/2 year free.

We have externships in many fields.....x-ray medical asst. where it is six weeks free labor.

We also pay apprentices lower wages as they learn a trade.

In most those cases the student is overed employment by the school or firm they worked with.

It does cost to supervise the apprentices the student teachers and in my own case the phlebotomist and be sure no harm is done.

I took classes in blood letting  after I retired at 62 to do volunteer work with blood drives. Bless the LPN who made sure I could get a rolled vein the first try...most times.   

• Like 1