Hey Joe

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

This brings me back to my original question--i.e., how to you cope with it when it's said in a 'snidey' manner? Do you respond?

I usually shout back, using the same pitch and tone as what they've used, with 'Hey Juan, Mabuhay!' However, on at least one occasion, I've been tempted to say things that are much worse with the Tagalog equivalents of 4 letter Anglo-Saxon words.

I just wave in a friendly manner.  A couple of times i've gave them  a look and a shake of the head but it seemed wasted on them.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I was in Lapo Lapo some years back, having breakfast, a guy from Tennessee opposite.

Asked me where I was from, answered 'Australia'.  After a 20 minute English conversation, he asked 'you all speak English in Australia'!

I have an American neighbour/beer buddy who said they speak Mexican in Mexico and that he speaks American. He genuinely wasn't joking on either occasion. With this type of misinformation being relayed to Filipinos I'm not surprised they are a little rough around the edges on geography etc!

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I was in Lapo Lapo some years back, having breakfast, a guy from Tennessee opposite.

Asked me where I was from, answered 'Australia'.  After a 20 minute English conversation, he asked 'you all speak English in Australia'!

I met a man from Darwin that was a hard accent to handle.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

You mention "Ignore it" I would, as many times Ignorance is Bliss Why go to their level, These things can start so innocently then Fester and become a problem    JMHO

If any comment is made in a disrespectful way to me I give it all the attention it deserves - none. Why would I give an idiot the power to irritate me?

Not just an irreverent "Hey Joe!" but evil things like "Baby did you take out the trash yet?".... huh? what's that? was someone talking to me? guess not (chuckle chuckle). 

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Well do ya, Josephine, DO YA  :whistling::hystery: 

Edited by Gerald Glatt
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I met a man from Darwin that was a hard accent to handle.

Was his name Mike Dundee Kev????

• Like 1