Do you still eat Western food?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

I’ve only lived here for over two years but I’m losing my taste for the Western foods at McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Shakey’s, etc.

Whenever I’m at the SM Mall, I’d rather eat local foods such as ‘Mang Inasal.’

What used to be comforting for me to eat (i.e., Western fast foods) is now becoming unappetizing to me.

BTW: Does anyone know why there are no ‘Fish and Chips’ franchises in the provinces (a.k.a. the boonies)? Yes, they are starting to appear in Metro Manila but there really should be more of them.

Capture.JPG

I’m not British but I haven’t had any ‘Fish and Chips’ since my trip to London.

Plus, after all, most Filipinos do seem to love eating fish and fried potatoes... so maybe (just maybe?) they would like to get a chance to eat both of them (by hand) from the same plate?

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
additional info
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I don't know about Fish n Chips franchises but there are many restaurants in most cities that do a decent fish n "french fries" for about 200 pesos.  If you ask for Fish n Chips you may get potato chips with your fish or the waiter may ask you if you mean french fries.

I find I eat a combination of western and filipino.  A plain cooked pork chop is similar in both cultures although filipinos like it with way more fat on it so I eat at home and choose the leaner cuts.  Fried chicken is fried chicken in both cultures.  There are some restaurants that insist on adding filipino flavoring to everything they cook and I tend to avoid those and go to either local or foreigner run restaurants with a bland selection.  I can always add sauce but I cannot take it out if its cooked in.

I do tend to avoid the fast food chains you mention in the opening post but those are now world wide junk-food chains rather than "western" food, IMHO.

• Like 5

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

I miss a good tender lean stake. The beef we get here in the Provience is mostly leather hard and i always says to my wife i think they only slaughter the old mother cows. The pork always seems course and with lots of fat. So i asked for them to buy the ribs section which is more tender. We mostly eat fish and chicken, lots of vegetables. I do not like the way they cook things like beans and potato. It is always not cooked enough for my liking. Wife says, that is the way they cook it here. Some things i do like, some it do not care for. I always try to eat at home instead of dining out but we do go out sometimes but we pick the good restaurant which there is not many in our town.

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Personally for me i buy my own ( Cdo ) burgers and chicken ( purefoods ) chicken  nuggets.

For Filipino food its Barrio Fiesta. I love fish and chips and the best by far ( so far ) is from Sulyap restaurant

Just outside San Pablo its Cream Dory but its the size of a large Cod and comes whith potato chips.

Another thing i love is Tempura which i first tried in a place near our home. Which is expensive at 5 for over 200 pesos.

Then i found the Tempura stall in SM got 7 got for 99 pesos !

Only fast food i eat is Jollibees Champ.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I guess I eat mostly Western(ish) foods.  I buy chicken breasts and pork steaks. Cut them into 100 gr pieces and freeze them.  I use 1 can of corn, mushrooms, and peas along with fresh, chopped, and blanched green beans & carrots (about 1 can worth). Mix it all in a ziploc bag and freeze it.  Lunch and dinner are one piece of grilled pork or chicken, whichever comes out of the freezer, and 1 cup of mixed veggies.

When we go to the mall it is a mix of local and foreign food.  Mang Inasal and Greenwich are very common. The occasional Jollibee's, Floyd's BBQ, Zark's burgers, Burger King. I don't go to McDos anymore because the "Big & Tasty" was the only passable thing they had... and it is off the menu here, now. 

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Mac Donalds has a fried fish and fries on their menu now. I tried it and it was ok but kinda small. 

I like Mang Insal also. My favourite.

I don't eat the other fast foods. I make my own pizza, lasagna, and other food that I like. We go to a place here called YAKIMIX. 

By the way, did you know that many pizza places use artificial cheese. Another reason to make my own Pizza.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I find the longer that I am living here, the more western food I eat. Most what I make myself. For lunch I love the Johnson vile garlic brats or frozen burritos I get at SR. A few days ago I made a whole bunch of tacos using my mothers recipe. One of the advantages of living in the metro area is the large number of western restaurants, we have a few favorites, authentic Italian, Spanish a Lebanese found a deli run by a Swiss guy with great pastrami and stuff like that. As for fast food, hardly touch it. Every so often we will stop a McDonalds and ill wolf down a big and tasty and some fries.

Keep in mind folks, we just celebrated our 23rd anniversary, so I have been eating home cooked Filipino food for a while:th_thbarbaque:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Lean enough for you :mocking:

stake.jpg

I think he means from the ass of a cow

• Like 2