Do you still eat Western food?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

About the only fish I like is the flavorless white fish at Long John Silvers (bad US fast food). All you can taste is batter and ketchup.  Not a big seafood fan.  Mahi mahi is ok, because it does not have the fishy taste. I am told they call it dorado here, but I have not found any yet.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

About the only fish I like is the flavorless white fish at Long John Silvers (bad US fast food). All you can taste is batter and ketchup.  Not a big seafood fan.  Mahi mahi is ok, because it does not have the fishy taste. I am told they call it dorado here, but I have not found any yet.

Yes Dorado and Mahi mahi are the same thing.I can get it at most fish markets here.It cost about 140 per kilo.I have Halibut and Haddock here but it is over 1000 per kilo,I have also seen Cod in S+R too expensive for my budget.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

About the only fish I like is

A bit (put mildly) off topic but close, as a west coast yank I am really not a big fan off fish. As Tim said, fish and chips are great, fried with batter with malt vinegar yummy. I suppose we were raised in a beef culture, so when we eat local I usually stick to tapas, or pork.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I'm with you Tim.  Other than the LJS, which I liked but could only handle maybe 2-3 times a month, I could eat flounder if cooked right.  White and no fishy taste.  Also really good if stuffed with crab meat.  That's about my desire for seafood.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

For Fish and Chips you are living in the wrong place, For Instance, we have quite a few Bars, Restos and English/European Run places that do fantastic Fish and Chips ( Dumaguete Area) If I was so moved (and I am thinking this) I guess this would be a venture I may tryfish and chips.jpg BUT and there is always a but a Constant supply of the Fish that is best may be the problem BUT............ I am making the round of inquires believe me. :whistling: 

Jack--you're killin me again with these fab food choices!  Unlike Scott's experience in Manila, Cebu lacks many authentic tasting specialty type restaurants. Most ethnic or specialty type offerings are made by Filipinos catering to Filipino tastes. Great for them, but not so if you're a foreigner with different taste cravings.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Hi Mark, Because cooking and baking are big hobbies and creative outlets for me, I'm drawn to eating more western food that I make at home. Before I moved here I thought that I would eat more Filipino food, but that has not happened.  I'm not averse to eating fine dining type Filipino food, but local restaurant fare I find very bland and dull.  We eat a lot of fish here by the sea that my husband cooks, either fried or grilled or in a soup which is good. Local beef is really tough as has been mentioned, and the local pork doesn't even taste like the pork you think of, due to the many growth hormones in feeds that make for the biggest pigs.  S&R imported beef and pork is a treat, and makes for some nice favorites.

As far as fast foods go, sometimes I crave McDonald's when out, because of it's predictable and satisfying taste. I do like Jollibee spaghetti though occasionally as a snack.:smile:  That fish and chip chain that you mention would be fun to try if one came to Cebu.:smile:

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi Mark, Because cooking and baking are big hobbies and creative outlets for me, I'm drawn to eating more western food that I make at home. Before I moved here I thought that I would eat more Filipino food, but that has not happened.  I'm not averse to eating fine dining type Filipino food, but local restaurant fare I find very bland and dull.  We eat a lot of fish here by the sea that my husband cooks, either fried or grilled or in a soup which is good. Local beef is really tough as has been mentioned, and the local pork doesn't even taste like the pork you think of, due to the many growth hormones in feeds that make for the biggest pigs.  S&R imported beef and pork is a treat, and makes for some nice favorites.

As far as fast foods go, sometimes I crave McDonald's when out, because of it's predictable and satisfying taste. I do like Jollibee spaghetti though occasionally as a snack.:smile:  That fish and chip chain that you mention would be fun to try if one came to Cebu.:smile:

Hi Queenie, I also like to cook but so far, my cooking has not been a big hit with the family over here. Part of the problem is the low quality of the meat, which has been mentioned. One of my favorite recipes is 'Italian Meatballs' which calls for a half and half mixture of both ground beef and pork (along with other ingredients)... but it doesn't turn out very well due to the low quality of both meats from the local markets.

If I lived near an S&R, I would be cooking more western foods. Right now, I've been learning how to cook the local fare such as corned beef and potatoes, which is very easy to prepare and it's always a hit with my family. My MIL who will not eat beef, especially my 'Italian Meatballs' (which are made with beef) eats my corned beef and potatoes. :89: 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

low quality of the meat

Mark, see if there is a Walter Mart in your area. I have been pretty happy with their meats

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Do you have a Belcris near you?;

http://website.belcris.com/

Pretty Good for a lot of things :smile:

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

Mark, see if there is a Walter Mart in your area. I have been pretty happy with their meats

Scott, thanks but I guess that I'm really out of luck, since the nearest Walter Mart is also hours away from me.