Is Chocolate.....chocolate in the PI's?

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Ok, every time we come visit we have to bring chocolate with us.............Im told its because Cadburys just is not Cadburys in the PI.  Its not about the price/cost, just about the quality and all Pilipinos say it tastes better.

Maybe its just as we bring it and Pasalubong is free.

Thoughts, Discuss? Is it really different if purchased in PI.................

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

A chocolate lover can usually tell the difference between Philippine Cadburys and American Cadburys and British Cadburys. 

Here is an article that goes into it in detail:  http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31924912

The explanation of why Cadbury's chocolate made in hot climates is the worst of the lot is in the comments where the writer says:

I'm currently in Perth, Western Australia, and my family and I certainly think that the Cadburys chocolate tastes different from the UK. In fact, my family (all expats) ask for choccy to be brought over. Unfortunately that is illegal in Australia so they have to buy their milk chocolate fix in British specialty shops. The Australian chocolate tastes waxy, and sweeter. We've always been told it's an additive to increase the melting point for hotter climates?! No one wants a soggy choccy bar, after all!

And that's what I notice.  If I bring chocolate from North America its usually quite melted by the time I get to Philippines, even if I am very careful packing it.  I put the best stuff in my carry on as its easier to keep it cool, but it tends to get eaten (by me) before I arrive.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Not sure where the Cadbury's in Hong Kong is made but it definitely tastes better there than here. The 1st one I bought here I figured maybe is was on the shelf a long time or something. Nope, just the way it tastes here. 

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Whether it's Cadbury's or Hershey's, they just don't taste the same over here in the Philippines... they both have a completely different taste!

That's why I bring a super-sized Hershey's chocolate bar with me back to the Philippines from my visits to the USA. :thumbsup:

Capture.JPG

http://www.hersheysstore.com/product/worlds-largest-hersheys-milk-chocolate-bar

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Capture.JPG

5Ib's !!!!!

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I know they are made differently, but everyone here asks for Toblerone.  Since it is not very good to begin with... I buy it after I arrive and they have never known the difference.  I like bringing the Halloween size bags of a Hershey's mix.  ...and they still want Toblerone...

Rarely I find Hershey's chocolate chips in the import section here and make Tollhouse cookies (3 times in 4 years).  So far everyone loves them. The chips are from the US and are quite good.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Many Filipinos believe locally manufactured products are inferior. This includes well known brands produced under a licensing agreement. Something similar occurs in other countries. I recall in Eastern Europe consumers paid a huge premium for Levi jeans made in America. Others made in China, etc. were considered inferior. The main difference is the label stating the country where it was manufactured.

Is there a difference in food taste? Yes. Although I no longer drink sugar water, Coca-Cola bottled in the Philippines and South America taste sweeter because they use cane sugar rather than beet sugar. Chocolates are not as sweet because they add a starch to keep the product from melting in the tropical heat.

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have noticed that I prefer Coke in the Philippines and Pepsi in the UK, I find one sweeter, my preference and the other more bitter. But reverse between the two countries. There was a tv program on recently about different preferences in chocolate from country to country and it's all to do with what you are brought up with. One thing they said about American chocolate was that it was high in a chemical that gives vomit it's taste and in a UK taste test the Hersies had this noticable tang. Butyl acid.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Cadburys chocolate in Oz is not all that great.  When I go over, I get chocolate from Aldi Store which is not only cheaper but WAY better - imported from Germany/Belguim

• Like 1