Volunteering in the Philippines.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Within about 3 months from now I will have left my home and job here in the UK and finally arrived in the Phils to continue the next stage in my life as an expat.  I guess like many people we wonder what we will do when that day finally arrives and how we combat potential boredom, after all when you are retired I am guessing all days just feel like a Sunday?  

I have a few interests that I would like to explore, I am a poor swimmer so would like to spend time improving my swimming and then hopefully take Scuba lessons and enjoy diving in what must surely be some of the best dive sites in the world.   I also have an interest in Martial arts and that has been my main hobby here in the UK for the past 20 years or so and I am looking into the possibility of learning the traditional Philippine martial art of Escrima/Arnis to give me another time occupying hobby which I might be able to infuse with my own knowledge of Jujitsu.

However, above all else I would like to spend some of my time in a Volunteering capacity, it doesn't have to be immediately, I will have plenty to occupy myself on my arrival and for some considerable time afterwards but eventually I would like to volunteer my time to help others (by that I mean Pinoy, not driving the forum members home from a heavy session at the 'Why Not' bar, Lol.).

So, for the forum members that are already doing this type of thing or to others that have had previous experience in this field.. How do you start?  How do you get your foot on the ladder?  Is it through local churches or even a Rotary Club type of organisation?   What are your experiences? How do/did you get involved?

For me personally I want a hands on type of voluntary work, maybe (but not exclusively) helping out at an orphanage or assisting children/adults that have sight/hearing/verbal problems where they could just do with an extra pair of hands at no cost. I am not looking to build a project from scratch like forum member Bruce has done with his excellent work on Samar but just to give my time and assistance. It doesn't matter what island it would be on, I will be starting off living in Dumaguete as I have stayed there previously and have a few friends down that way including some of our own forum members, admittedly if I could find what I am looking for on Negros Oriental that would be a bonus.

So, over to you guys and girls, what information or ideas do you have?

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Good luck with the next stage of your life Eddie, I am sure you will enjoy the Philippines.  You are going to a good spot in Dumaguete, with some great forum members down there who will make you welcome.  They hold regular gatherings and I am sure you will join in.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Good point you raise AlwaysRT. Sad it is like it is - but all we can do is play the cards they deal.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Good point you raise AlwaysRT. Sad it is like it is - but all we can do is play the cards they deal.

Absolutely!

20 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Imagine how bad thing would be for them if foreign nurses retired here and volunteered a few days a week.

Exactly but I can't see that happening as the Medical side of things seem to be Taboo for us (The Foreigner) 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Exactly but I can't see that happening as the Medical side of things seem to be Taboo for us (The Foreigner) 

Yup, I was just using that as an example to help 'us' understand where such a crazy sounding (the 1st time you hear volunteering is considered working) rule might legitimately come from.

• Like 1