Which passport

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife, who is dual citizen, will be traveling to the USA on a fund raising trip for our ministry.  She will be gone for about 4 weeks.  We are looking for advice on which passport would be the better choice for travel.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

My wife, who is dual citizen, will be traveling to the USA on a fund raising trip for our ministry.  She will be gone for about 4 weeks.  We are looking for advice on which passport would be the better choice for travel.

I think that will depend on whether the Fund raising comes under any Heading. For me I would say her US passport but then let me ask does she have a Green card?  I ask this as we have another member that wants to do Voluntary work, seems that is not as straightforward as it could be. Nothing in this world is straightforward any more, I suggest a phone call to the US Embassy on this one my Friend, Immigration at both ends being what it is

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I think that will depend on whether the Fund raising comes under any Heading. For me I would say her US passport but then let me ask does she have a Green card?

Once you have citizenship and get US passport, you no longer have a green card. 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Once you have citizenship and get US passport, you no longer have a green card. 

Then I do not understand why the question was asked, for all intents and purposes the Lady is a US citizen, why should she make waves (If there are any to be made) By Entering on a Filipino Passport, Surely this could/might just bring a problem OP please? 

Edit to say Entering on her US Passport give her Rights, Entering on her Filipino passport may have certain Rights not acknowledged as you will be Bound by the passport you enter on 

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Correct Jack, She will have to present the US passport when arriving.  Maybe he is asking if there is an advantage on which one to present when leaving.  ie, exit fees.   I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Maybe he is asking if there is an advantage on which one to present when leaving.  ie, exit fees.   I'm not sure.

Maybe the OP (Mike J) can answer this but whatever she leaves on surely, she will have to Enter the US on I mean you can't just change 1/2 way Through, can you? Tickets are Geared to a passport in this day and age:smile: 

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just asked my wife about this because she and our daughter are both dual citizens.  She tells me the last time we exited here three years ago she still had a green card.  The terminal fees she paid was about double presenting her Philippine Passport and us green card vs my and my daughters US passport.  Now we are wondering if she leaves on the US passport and returns presenting a Philippine passport, it will not show a departure and may cause an issue.  As I am typing this it remains somewhere in the back of my mind she may have been told to present both.  We'll have to do some checking.

NOTE:  Although she is a dual citizen with both passports, I also just remembered the Philippine Dual citizen passport is a different color than the Philippine only citizen..  FWIW

Edited by intrepid
additional info
  • Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

My wife just has a normal green Philippines passport but uses her UK passport to travel, when she enters the Fils she shows both. Many countries do not give an exit stamp so enter on the most appropriate passport, nothing wrong leaving on one and entering on another unless you need to show a visa.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

She has to carry both

Thanks OnMyWay, great information - exactly what we needed to know.