Its so hot

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

As others have mentioned, it is the humidity that really makes it feel so hot here.  That is why many of the weather reports list the temperature and also the "feels like" temperature which increase as the humidity rises.  Example:

When the temperature is 32 (very common here even in wet season and can be much higher)

Humidity % / feels like temp

40/32.3

50/34.4

60/37.1

70/40.4

80/44.4

90/49

How to deal with it and can you acclimate?  The answer is going to vary with each person here.  I am fairly well acclimated after being here 4 years this October.  This is the first dry season where I have not had to use the air conditioner at night.  When we moved here I used fans as required during the day and aircon only at night to sleep.  Each month I would increase the aircon temperature by one degree.  If I had trouble sleeping I would dial it back down to the previous setting and try again the following month.  When you reach an aircon temp of 28-30 or so, try using just a fan for sleeping.  This worked for me but each person will suffer from the heat to a different degree.  What most everyone will tell you is to use fans to keep the air moving, wear a hat when outside, and try to stay out of the sun during the hottest part of the day.  I cannot emphasize how important it is to STAY HYDRATED!  

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, stevewool said:

Here in England summer is here and its hot, 30 degrees and its hot

Yes we should not be i the city waking and looking at the sites but we are on holiday.

This got me wondering with such a difference from month to month living here we are not use to it being so hot anymore.

So with the heat over there how do you cope and have you got us to it o you dont even think about the heat anymore

You sweat a lot!

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Wife does not like a/c on. she says it is too cold. I tell her to put some warmer clothes on.   That would be easier than for me to shed more clothes if I am already in my shorts. 

She sleeps with clothes on and a light blanket. I sleep in my boxers with a/c on low. 

She would never make it in Chicago. ( she has an aunt there)

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It has been warmer here in Subic since we returned from the US, but the nights have not been bad and this week the morning lows are predicted to be a balmy 21c!

I have never been to Death Valley in the U.S. despite living in California for half my life.  On our trip, I originally planned to go through there in mid-May, but I could not work it out.  The weather was unseasonably cool in May, but look at it now!  It was 52 Saturday and might hit 54 Tuesday!

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/nevada/articles/2017-06-18/tourists-descend-as-temperatures-climb-in-death-valley

I lived around Trona.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

It's really hot and humid here in Cebu right now, as it has been since May.  I'd say it's quite hot from May to October here in the province, with the other six months quite decent and a couple when you don't even need a fan running.  I think that because we're on the water, at certain times there is a breeze even on a hot day that is pleasant.

Having visited the Florida Keys, as a New Englander it was the hottest outside of the Philippines that I've experienced. I think those of you from Florida would  have no problems with the weather here.:smile:

I equate the hot dry season months as my "winter", and something I tolerate until the cooler and more pleasant rainy season arrives. May and June are the hottest months here. Being outside and catching a breeze is the best, if I can, as well as getting up early to make the most of the cool mornings before real sunup.  My husband likes to swim to cool off, but I'm not really into swimming that much, as the sun is brutal. Otherwise it's fans/turbo fans all over going off and on all day. We sleep all through the dry season with aircon at night, and if the morning/afternoon gets unbearable like it has lately. I'll retreat to the bedroom with the aircon for a spell.:smile:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I'll retreat to the bedroom with the aircon for a spell.:smile:

Which reminds me, that it is time to get ours Cleaned as it is struggling a little at 18c "WOW" where did that 3 months go ( I have this one done 4 times a year, due to the Dust in the Area) :huh:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

I lived around Trona.

I had to look that up!  Very remote and hot too!

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hot and humid here in Pattaya also.  Rain has disappeared.

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I had to look that up!  Very remote and hot too!

It has a beauty all it's own though, the china lakes, sidewinder migrations. I actually spotted some silver, not in producible quantities though.

• Like 1