Bank Deposit Fee

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I got charged $5.00 usd today for depositing a check into my dollar account at BDO.  Boy was I mad!  It's a check clearing fee they tell me.  I want to close my account and I may,  but need to do some more research.  I did find BPI is also now charging this fee.  I'm starting to wonder if there may be a cheaper way to transfer the usd.  Seems like most of the remittance companies cut the rate and of course charge fees.  Maybe we are just going to be stuck paying the check clearing fee.  I was told the $5.00 fee is for any amount check so I guess I could save some by writing the check for three months allowances at a time.  Fees fees and more fees.  STOP!:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I got charged $5.00 usd today for depositing a check into my dollar account at BDO.

I used to get mad when they started charging 200 pesos for withdrawing any amount from an ATM using a foreign issued card.  They must have figured out they could do the same with checks.

Bank fees everywhere have grown like tics on a hound-dog.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

BPI charged me a deposit fee. 100 pesos, back when. Western Union will send me $4,999 USD to a location for $2.99. They say it may be 3 business days but I usually get the e-mail notification within 30 minutes. Now, finding someplace that has that kind of money in $100 bills [or at all] will be a problem and you will have to give them notice. WU wanted verification the first few times I used them. No problems after that.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Bank fees everywhere have grown like tics on a hound-dog.

Dave Hounddriver, How you know this? Are you that bored you are now counting your tics on your hound? :89:

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

My hound has no ticks.  Cost $12 a month no fleas but gets mosquito bites like me.  Go Neet.

USAA used to pay ATM fees charged by other banks (still does here) think it my still in RP.  I e-xfer between them and my two other banks at no charge. Will be using Citibank when we return and last conversation with the branch manager there was a small charge for receiving funds from US xfer, hope it is similar next year.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We opened our PNB USD and also a peso account, even rented a safe deposit box and got a credit card from them in 2012. From the beginning they have charged us 200 pesos for every 2000 USD check we deposit drawn on our USA bank. I have asked if that kan be waived due to long standing, good customer even giving them cassava cakes for gifts lol

their answer? :dreams:

Just the cost of doing business here.

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, robert k said:

BPI charged me a deposit fee. 100 pesos, back when. Western Union will send me $4,999 USD to a location for $2.99. They say it may be 3 business days but I usually get the e-mail notification within 30 minutes. Now, finding someplace that has that kind of money in $100 bills [or at all] will be a problem and you will have to give them notice. WU wanted verification the first few times I used them. No problems after that.

Robert, this may be the ticket for me.  I would just close out my dollar account and just keep my peso account.  After some searching, we found a money changer nearby who always has the best exchange rate.  So good that after comparing with the other bests back and forth over several months, we no longer check around.  The best part is they happen to be a Western Union.  So now I could send my monthly in dollars and just ask them to pay out in pesos.  I'll stop by later this week and confirm with them. 

Now for the $2.99 WU fee, I found you must use the phone app to get that low fee.  On line it is $10.00 unless I am missing something.   So far I am getting a code on my phone app and unable to sign in.  If this continues today I will call WU to resolve the issue.  Thanks.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, robert k said:

Okay after many attempts and unable to sign in with the mobile app, I continue to get a code(S1001).  After contacting WU the rep told me the phone app is not available outside the US.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):   Are you in the Philippines using this app?  If so, what am I doing wrong:89:

robert k
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, intrepid said:

Okay after many attempts and unable to sign in with the mobile app, I continue to get a code(S1001).  After contacting WU the rep told me the phone app is not available outside the US.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):   Are you in the Philippines using this app?  If so, what am I doing wrong:89:

I would [usually but not always] log in to my WU account via computer, to WU USA. My bank is in the USA. Logging on to WU Philippines would fail.

I would also decline the track your location when they requested it because there is no reason to get them confused.

This was how I transferred money to the Philippines while I was living there.

I have sent myself money from my phone in the Philippines sitting in the Dumaguete McDo, by logging in to my US account as I would at home on my laptop.

I would suggest you try it without the app, as the app probably connects you to WU Philippines, which is a non starter because your bank you are pulling funds from is not in the Philippines. The phone app probably automatically enables tracking and giving location as Philippines may raise fraud warning bells.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, intrepid said:

Is the app connecting you to WU Philippines?

I just logged in and checked and the fees are higher from credit card.

THE FEE SENDING FROM BANK ACCOUNT IS $2.99

I always say from my bank. Or your bank is not in the Philippines, don't use WU Philippines, etc. Direct from the bank is cheaper.

Checking just now, they allow you to send $5,000 and not that cheesy $2,999- $4,999 or below. Exchange rate for anything less than $100 isn't very good and they never had small bills.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1