Electric Razors (Rechargeable)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Many years ago in the UK I had a Philips Electric Razor (3 Head, Direct power), Recently here, I bought one W'Elite (Reachable, 2 head) and the Box said self Sharpening Blades can I ask anyone,

Are they, How does this work?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Many years ago in the UK I had a Philips Electric Razor (3 Head, Direct power), Recently here, I bought one W'Elite (Reachable, 2 head) and the Box said self Sharpening Blades can I ask anyone,

Are they, How does this work?

Theres a little man inside with a file. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Just a guess.  Make the blades out of slightly softer steel than the steel mesh that covers the blades.  As the blades move against the protective mesh while shaving, the flat surface of the blade would ever so slowly be honed away.  This would keep them flat and with a nice square sharp edge.  I expect it took a lot of trial and error to get the right combination of metals.  I suppose you could also coat the underside of the protective mesh with something really hard, maybe some type of ceramic composite? 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

self Sharpening Blades

That means you, your self, sharpen them.

• Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I have 2 rechargeable self sharpening razors 1 Philips 3 head ( 3500 php )and a cheapo from Lazeda

At ( 700 php ) the philips i only use if we are going out for a meal or a wedding etc as the batteries after a full charge only last 1 shave !! The cheapo last 3 days ! Trying to buy new blades for the Philips is like winning the lottery !

I sharpen the heads on both using emery paper works a treat

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

This would keep them flat and with a nice square sharp edge.

This sounds like how self sharpening chain saws are supposed to work but it never really worked in the past because the sharpening needs to be done on the underside of the cutting surface to keep the cutting surface from premature ejectulation.  Recently, one of the chain saw makers got smart and made the top side of the teeth thicker so you could use the self-sharpening device without wearing out the chain so fast.  Maybe self sharpening razors took that tip to the next level.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Com'on guys if they were 'self sharpening' why would they need replaced every year?:89:  I'm going with the little man theory, besides it makes such good use of the unemployed guys from the broken refrigerators. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This sounds like how self sharpening chain saws are supposed to work but it never really worked in the past because the sharpening needs to be done on the underside of the cutting surface to keep the cutting surface from premature ejectulation.

Dave, are we on the same page here ? :smile:

Moderator's Edit:  :hystery: :1927_: :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31: Hee Hee  I can edit your stuff too :console:  But I'm pretty sure I said something like premature um . .  what the heck was it now.  Anyway.  You are sharp already this morning :whistling:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Testing
  • Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Dave, are we on the same page here ? :smile:

Dave has a tough beard