Cost to Build a House

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

I am almost ready to build my house in Ilocos Sur. My question to those that have built a house or now the cost process to pay contractors for construction. I have plans for a 700 square meter house. The contractor wants me to purchase all materials and he wants to be paid 40 percent of the cost of all materials to build the house. He would provide all workers and tools. This way I can make sure quality materials are used and negotiate material costs. Is 40 percent of material costs fair?

What does not make sence to me is that if I purchase tiles at $1.00 per square foot he gets 40 cents but if I purchase tiles at $10 per square foot he gets $4.00, so for the same labour he gets either much more or much less depending on what I build.

Any suggestions on how to pay the construction company? They don't want to be paid daily.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

40% might be fair for the shell of the house, rough plumbing and electrical. Hire your own contractors to finish the inside. Tell him you aren't going to pay him 40% of the car you park in the drive either!

• Like 4

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Further to my earlier post, the reason I sacked the engineer was twofold. Firstly he was ordering more materials than was required to boost his money, something to really keep an eye on. Secondly was his consistent changing of my plan withoutconsulting me. All you need an engineer for is the actual drawing of the plans and as requirement for building permit. Find yourself a good foreman/tradesman who can read plans andyou are good to go.

Two important things that I have seen some expats here not do are pay the gain tax on plot before commencing the build andbe sure to get a building permit.

Good luck for the stress ahead!

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Mike In Canada said:

Is 40 percent of material costs fair?

In my opinion? Not really.

Here is how things went when we built our house in brief. Our architect made blue prints from our basic home computer plans, arranged for the construction crew (foreman and laborers) visited the site on almost a daily basis. For this he was paid 10% of the "estimated" building cost based on his experience. In our case he estimated 4 million pesos. Actual cost was closer to 5 million because we used top of the line materials. We paid the crew ourselves on a weekly basis. (bearing in mind that here it is customary to offer a mid week pay, which almost all laborers took advantage of so in reality we paid the workers twice a week).

House came out great and exactly how we designed it. One caveat is that our architect is a 3rd cousin to my wife, so I do not know if he gave us a special deal (but I doubt it lolol).

paying a flat rate for his fee and the labor, again IMHO, opens up the possibility that he will pocket part of the workers pay, which might lead to unhappy workers.

Good luck

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

40% is the asking price.........

I wouldnt do it, negotiate down as your materials will be much higher spec and substantially more costly also.

Better to do as others said, manage labour yourself and the entire build process, perhaps get a good Foreman.  Much cheaper in long run if know what you are doing

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Steve GCC said:

40% is the asking price......

I am not going to enter this Topic as I have already said why I disagree with this Method :huh: eeeeer in another Topic of a similar issue, Time maybe to put them all together? It will make it all easier to respond :smile:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 2