Do you have an Expat Medicine Kit?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2017 at 2:11 PM, Gary D said:

Although wide spectrum antibiotics are available, without a doctors expertise how do you know which ones to buy.

Same same in Australia, another medical rort!

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The doctor that I see here in the PI  is as good as any I have in the states. He takes his time with me. The only problem and it's not really a problem is that I have to make an appointment like a week in advance unless it's an emergency. Then, I have to wait a while. He takes his time with all of his patients. That is why he is so popular and he takes very good care of us. No complaints from me. 

I guess it's lucky that my wife knows him from her work as an RN. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I guess it's lucky that my wife knows him from her work as an RN.

Here again, it is who that your wife knows that can be of a help to the foreigner.

• Like 5

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

We have the same new laws here too but the advantage is living where your wife grew up and has friends or batchmates in all departments. Some people choose to live far away from the wife's family but I have found it to be very beneficial to live nearby over the years for many different reasons.

I guess that I'm out of luck since my wife hates where she grew up... too many volcanic eruptions and too many floods! 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

too many volcanic eruptions and too many floods! 

Yes, we do have to put up with that. Mt Canlaon is nearby and lets out a puff every now and then. We can see it whenever we go to Bacolod except for yesterday due to torrential rain. Much of Bacolod was flooded up to 1 foot in many places, even the highway in 2 places. Cars and m/cs were stranded everywhere.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jpbago said:

Here again, it is who that your wife knows that can be of a help to the foreigner.

:smile: She also knows he judge who married us and his wife. 

Her brother is or was a Barangay chief.

and it seems like almost every time we go out some place here, someone who knows her stops to say "hello" and exchange small talk. I tell her not to introduce me cause I do not like small talk. My wife does, after all, she's a woman.

A retired PNP officer is the most influential person that I know personally here in Davao.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I guess that I'm out of luck since my wife hates where she grew up... too many volcanic eruptions and too many floods

I live in Davao City and Mount Apo is very close to us here. Mount Apo is an old volcano that is potentially active. I think they refer to it as being dormant. 

There are 2 geo thermal energy plants that get their energy from underground hot water. So, what does that tell me? It tells me that something is brewing under the surface. Something HOT. 

So, if I am lucky to escape a tsunami and a major earth quake, I may not be so lucky to escape hot molten lava fromMt Apo.

Oh well, wish I could say " its been fun"

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Our place is not far from Pinitubu, when that erupted in I think 92 the family was out raking the ash off of the roof so it didn't collapse under the weight.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

Even though I'm not a full time resident I keep a large suitcase at my SO's. Have a first aid kit in it; triple action antibiotic cream (for any small cuts); some antibiotics like a Z-PAC, amoxicillin, cipro, doxycycline, etc; Imodium; Orajel; DayQuil; Benzocaine; ibuprofen; some herbal meds; and of course lots of vitamin V (lol). 

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 6/29/2017 at 9:27 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

I guess that I'm out of luck since my wife hates where she grew up... too many volcanic eruptions and too many floods! 

Are you saying your wife is old and grew up with Noah!? Certainly not ... :hystery:

• Like 1