Singing The National Anthem

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Intersting Article on BBC Website. Better start to learn the words!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40415778#_=_

robert k
Posted
Posted

I don't sing the anthem but I would stand for it when it was played in a theater. I would even invite Filipinos to stand with me...after all, it's their country and anthem?:hystery:

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just The Star Spangled Banner for me.

Stepson sings it when Manny Pacquaio fights. 

Edited by Gratefuled

bows00
Posted
Posted

For the expats, it's just a matter of showing proper respect, like taking off your hat, etc...  But what if your an expat that looks Filipino?  Will a corrupt police officer clobber you and take you in for questioning?  Then demand a ransom?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

From the article

The Philippine House of Representatives has approved a bill making enthusiastic singing of the national anthem compulsory.

"The singing shall be mandatory and must be done with fervor," the bill states. The word "mandatory" is not in the existing legislation.

IMO there is something very disturbing about this. I do not believe that you can "legislate" unless you are in a totalitarian system.

I personally stand and salute my national anthem and stand at attention in the presence of other countries anthem. To me false loyalty is worse than no loyalty. Or maybe the government is finally getting the pulse of the peoples loyalty. In order, Self, Family, clan, batch mates, work mates, barangay, city, country.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, scott h said:

I do not believe that you can "legislate" unless you are in a totalitarian system.

As in Philippines "über alles" ?

• Like 2