Internet Service - What are the acceptable options?

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Which province makes a difference to the answers. :thumbsup:

Balamban Cebu 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

When in the Philippines, learn to expect less and be presently surprised when you get more.

Capture.JPG

For what it’s worth, this is my ‘high-speed’ connection out in the provinces.

That is a pretty good connection for the Philippines. What type of service is it (DSL, CATV, etc) and and do you mind letting us know the cost?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, earthdome said:

That is a pretty good connection for the Philippines. What type of service is it (DSL, CATV, etc) and and do you mind letting us know the cost?

It's DSL with PLDT for 3,100 pesos per month.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

It's DSL with PLDT for 3,100 pesos per month.

Thanks. In Baguio 3 years ago I had 1.5Mbs DSL for 1400 pesos/month. I could have paid more for faster service.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2017 at 10:58 PM, Reedster said:

What experience do people out in the provinces rate their Internet access?  Any suggestions for planning?  I am very computer dependent (probably a bad thing).  Do Roku streaming devices work?  How about Apple TV or Amazon Fire?   Can you stream live games (such as US NFL or MSL leagues)?   Just trying to get my head around what I am going to be in store for.

Last fall I was in Cebu City and had no trouble steaming in a Hotel, but then from a hotel out in Danao streaming was impossible.  It is hit and miss?  Are satellite Internet providers available?

Subic Bay Freeport Zone is a bit provincial but we are lucky in that we get a version of PLDT FIBR here.  Subictel is a subsidiary of PLDT and the plans are a bit different that the normal PLDT areas.

We pay p3500 for 50 mbps service + Cignal digital TV with around 100 channels, ~15 are HD.  +p200 rent for the settop box, total p3700 a month.  There are no limits.

We have had it over a year now and it has been outstanding.  When we went to the U.S. for a month I let them know in advance, and they did not bill us for that time.  I think I have called them twice because it was down or slow, and they fixed it really fast.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We pay p3500 for 50 mbps service + Cignal digital TV with around 100 channels, ~15 are HD.  +p200 rent for the settop box, total p3700 a month.  There are no limits.

Wow. My CATV was 1000 peso/month plus 1400 peso/month for 1.5Mbps DSL, total 2400 peso/month. I would gladly pay 3700 for what you get. Great deal OMW. Might just look at the Freeport when we return to the Philippines.

Reedster
Posted
Posted

I appreciate all the responses.  Thank you sincerely.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2017 at 10:58 PM, Reedster said:

What experience do people out in the provinces rate their Internet access?  Any suggestions for planning?  I am very computer dependent (probably a bad thing).  Do Roku streaming devices work?  How about Apple TV or Amazon Fire?   Can you stream live games (such as US NFL or MSL leagues)?   Just trying to get my head around what I am going to be in store for.

Last fall I was in Cebu City and had no trouble steaming in a Hotel, but then from a hotel out in Danao streaming was impossible.  It is hit and miss?  Are satellite Internet providers available?

We live away from Davao City. Kinda like the boon docks but he have neighbours. We have service for 2 TVs with Cignal TV which provide a satellite dish and for this we pay 1320 Pesos per month.

We have WI FI with PLDT which cost 5800 Pesos per month. Expensive for the poor performance. 

The Philippines is well known for having the most expensive internet service with the poorest service in Southeast Asia. This is something that President Duterte said  had better improve or he will open up the opportunity for foreign companies to compete with Philippine companies for better and cheaper service. 

So, lets see if that will come to pass before I die. ( slightly exaggerated )

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Unlikely to find stream-able Internet outside the major urban centers but there are slim possibilities.  I would say good luck but Leonard Cohen says it best:

Love Leonard Cohen.  Yes, I am preparing for the worst Dave, but they tell me where we are staying has landline, so from what I read, that is the best option. But doubt it will be enough.

See DU30 has started to shake up Internet service, hope he keeps shaking.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

We live away from Davao City. Kinda like the boon docks but he have neighbours. We have service for 2 TVs with Cignal TV which provide a satellite dish and for this we pay 1320 Pesos per month.

We have WI FI with PLDT which cost 5800 Pesos per month. Expensive for the poor performance. 

The Philippines is well known for having the most expensive internet service with the poorest service in Southeast Asia. This is something that President Duterte said  had better improve or he will open up the opportunity for foreign companies to compete with Philippine companies for better and cheaper service. 

So, lets see if that will come to pass before I die. ( slightly exaggerated )

We can only wish and wait.

• Like 2