Internet Service - What are the acceptable options?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Oh to be techno!!!

mogo51
Posted
Posted

We are just about to go to Fibre Optic at San Fernano, La Union.  1500 pesos a month, but 2 year contract.  Any body using fibre optic and if so, how is it going. they are saying  20mps.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

We are just about to go to Fibre Optic at San Fernano, La Union.  1500 pesos a month, but 2 year contract.  Any body using fibre optic and if so, how is it going. they are saying  20mps.

Fibre optic is usually a technical term.  What is the name of the company providing the fibre optic internet service?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Here in Negros Occidental  we have a local provider for TV and Internet.   Channels are reasonable and speed most consistent at 1.4 down and about .75 up. Cost is P1600 a month, bit slow but acceptable.  Most movies I down load just leave it running over night. Nice just one cable does all.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Fibre optic is usually a technical term.  What is the name of the company providing the fibre optic internet service?

I found this story from over 2 years ago: http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/converge-begins-laying-out-luzon-fiber-optic-cable-network/

Here is the companies website: https://www.convergeict.com/home/fiberx

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Yes, they are in our SBMA / Olongapo area and I was wondering if that was the one Mogo might be looking at.

I looked at them briefly a year ago but they did not have much going on then and their pricing was higher than PLDT.  Seems better now.  Back then I thought they might be leasing from PLDT but maybe not.

PLDT guarantees 60% of promised speed and it looks like Converge only guarantees 30%.  So, just guessing, at 20 mbps plan might average a lot less.

Markham
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, earthdome said:

Sounds like it is acting as a proxy service if you are not using a VPN.

It is exactly that, as well as being a very fast DNS provider. Before I found this service, I used a VPN to give me a virtual point of presence in the UK so that I could watch the BBC but that was a bit fraught by the almost constant buffering. My viewing became far more pleasurable once I tried the new DNS service as there was much less buffering - and usually none late in the evening.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Markham said:

It is exactly that, as well as being a very fast DNS provider. Before I found this service, I used a VPN to give me a virtual point of presence in the UK so that I could watch the BBC but that was a bit fraught by the almost constant buffering. My viewing became far more pleasurable once I tried the new DNS service as there was much less buffering - and usually none late in the evening.

With more and more websites switching to HTTPS due to the revelations by Edward Snowden about the extent of NSA spying on internet traffic a proxy service becomes less and less useful since you can not use a proxy for HTTPS traffic.

Markham
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, earthdome said:

With more and more websites switching to HTTPS due to the revelations by Edward Snowden about the extent of NSA spying on internet traffic a proxy service becomes less and less useful since you can not use a proxy for HTTPS traffic.

So far that restriction doesn't affect me as none of the geo-restricted sites I access use https. If this changes, I'll use one of Smart DNS' L2TP VPN servers. I've already got one configured - just in case! - and its SpeedTest performance was almost as good as a normal (non-VPN) connection,

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 8/7/2017 at 6:50 AM, OnMyWay said:

It is Leduco, a local company.  I spoke to the technicians laying the cable, It seems all above board.???  Will tell you in a few weeks.