Internet Service - What are the acceptable options?

robert k
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Works even better with a LTE router and external antenna. Using the same strategy I can usually get between 30Gb and 45Gb on 50 pesos.

Where I was I had a crappy 3G connection not my devices (300Mb/s LTE) fault. I know better from now on. I was often tempted to take the laptop to town where I could get a really good connection but the jeep didn't lock and I didn't want to carry the laptop everywhere and I could do most things on my 7 inch "phone". 

A youtube channel I watch, the guy was complaining about having to wait 8 hours at a sari store to upload a video. Knowing where he is I commented why he didn't load the video on his phone take a 10 minute ride on his bike to the business/Hospital district and upload the video from his phone?:89:

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mogo51 said:

That very eloquently sums it up Jack from what I can see so far.  I am about to get the Jollies cut off for optic fibre 3000 pesos installation, 1500 pm and no happy ending!!!!!

I don't know what "pm" is but don't fall for the "need to run an extra 25 meter of cable from pole to house. You can buy it from us discounted or wait a week and pay full price from Globe (or whomever)". Every single installation they pulled that on me except the last one.  I told them I wasn't paying anything until I talked to Globe. Suddenly the cable was free or not needed.

The installation people are almost always 3rd party. If you suspect they're scamming you they probably are. Get on the phone (or threaten to).

Edit: pm=per month. Gotcha.

Edited by MikeB
Duh...

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, MikeB said:

I don't know what "pm" is but don't fall for the "need to run an extra 25 meter of cable from pole to house. You can buy it from us discounted or wait a week and pay full price from Globe (or whomever)". Every single installation they pulled that on me except the last one.  I told them I wasn't paying anything until I talked to Globe. Suddenly the cable was free or not needed.

The installation people are almost always 3rd party. If you suspect they're scamming you they probably are. Get on the phone (or threaten to).

Edit: pm=per month. Gotcha.

The cable is already to the building we are moving into, I was there and saw them installing it.  There are 4 different buildings in the complex and assume it will be wired to all.  If they have already done this, I wonder why  there is 3000pesos to connect what already is there?  

I believe there are connection boxes with X amount of connections available.  I think the 3k is a rip to try and recoup their costs in one hit!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, mogo51 said:

The cable is already to the building we are moving into, I was there and saw them installing it.  There are 4 different buildings in the complex and assume it will be wired to all.  If they have already done this, I wonder why  there is 3000pesos to connect what already is there?  

I believe there are connection boxes with X amount of connections available.  I think the 3k is a rip to try and recoup their costs in one hit!

Connection fees are fairly common in many countries.   Even when it only involves throwing a switch.

Just change the wording to "Express Lane Fee" and maybe you will feel better about it!  :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Not much you can do about advertised installation fees that are in your contract. What I'm talking about is contractors showing up to do the installation and claiming you need extra cable or what not and charging extra for that. They have done that to me every time. This sounds like a pre-wired building so should not happen. What speeds are they advertising?    

mogo51
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, MikeB said:

Not much you can do about advertised installation fees that are in your contract. What I'm talking about is contractors showing up to do the installation and claiming you need extra cable or what not and charging extra for that. They have done that to me every time. This sounds like a pre-wired building so should not happen. What speeds are they advertising?    

Se went to Ludeco this morning to inquire.  Gave us a form and the list of 'requirements'.  I asked about getting what I will pay for so far as speed is concerned.  The woman is saying consistently 15-18mbps.  If I do get that I will be happy.  50mgbps is 2500 pesos. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Se went to Ludeco this morning to inquire.  Gave us a form and the list of 'requirements'.  I asked about getting what I will pay for so far as speed is concerned.  The woman is saying consistently 15-18mbps.  If I do get that I will be happy.  50mgbps is 2500 pesos. 

Not familiar with Ludeco but be sure to check the fine print on data cap policy (FUP). "Unlimited" downloading usually means you get advertised speed up to a limit, than 2G. I was under the legacy Globe policy of 10Gb per day @5Mb/ps. If I had upgraded speed it was 70Gb per month and than 2G. Of course it was "unlimited".

The problem I had in the Phils wasn't speed but outages. Untrimmed branches falling on cables, ID10T contractors working in wiring closets, etc. Typically took days to correct. 

Benington
Posted
Posted
On 8/9/2017 at 6:03 PM, Benington said:

Yes, their 2 year offer was very cheap and tempting, but I think linkage to having a TV licence is in the offing, so I just went for a year with them. Then I expect there will be ways around it if that ever materializes.

On the second day of non-operation with me, and according to them others somewhere. They say their engineers are working on it, but if this drags on I will ask about the VPN. So far their support has been excellent, but this is a real test. Had it last year and it never failed.

SmartDNS seem now to have properly fixed the BBC issue. They don't make it that clear you can have their VPN too at no extra cost, useful as an insurance in case DNS fails as well as for the benefit of anonymous surfing.

I tried to install their VPN , got stuck, but their support came to the rescue with a remote installation. So I continue to rate their support as "excellent".

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2017 at 10:19 PM, Benington said:
On 8/12/2017 at 7:45 PM, MikeB said:

Not familiar with Ludeco but be sure to check the fine print on data cap policy (FUP). "Unlimited" downloading usually means you get advertised speed up to a limit, than 2G. I was under the legacy Globe policy of 10Gb per day @5Mb/ps. If I had upgraded speed it was 70Gb per month and than 2G. Of course it was "unlimited".

The problem I had in the Phils wasn't speed but outages. Untrimmed branches falling on cables, ID10T contractors working in wiring closets, etc. Typically took days to correct. 

I am not holding my breath Mike about getting what I am about to pay for, but as I want and need the internet to retain sanity, what other option is there. the pocket wifi we are using at the moment, I could send a pigeon with the email and it would arrive quicker.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
reply was in quote box

jpbago
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, MikeB said:

In both internet and electric, there is no preventative maintenance. After it breaks, then they fix it. No planning ahead, always working to catch up.