In case of an emergency, who would you call?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Call 911, ok Good Luck on Step 1

Step 2 Yes, and what would you estimate the response time would be

Step 3 Is everything under control now? 

Have you ever had to call in an emergency?  I sure hope not. 

Do you know anyone who has?

Care to share?

I have not but I have noticed responding ambulances stuck in traffic.

The same with fire engines.

I wonder how fast the police would respond. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Have you ever had to call in an emergency?

Once, not long after we moved here, a lady had what I think was an epileptic fit in front of our house. I ended up running down to the Barangay HQ and reporting it to the watchman who sent a couple of guys and a utility vehicle. Good thing we live very close to the office.

We live very close to a public hospital, and I can not count the number of times walking down the main road and seeing a tricycle going hell bent for leather, dodging in and out of traffic, blowing its horn, pulling into the emergency room drive way.

Our handyman, a real talented fellow, could turn his hand to anything, was having chest pains or some sort, family put him in a tricycle and went to the emergency room at the local hospital, which didn't have the staff or equipment for him. Back into the trike and to another hospital, same story. By the time they got him to a hospital that could help him, he was dead. (at age 45). So my bottom line is that unless you get ill very close to a very good hospital your chances of survival are slim.

As an aside, this is not limited the Philippines. I remember in the early 80s in a bar in Pohang, Korea. Papa San had a heart attack. Well us young and confident soldiers did what we could, carried him out to the side walk and waited for the ambulance, which turned out to be public taxis. Two Cabbies stood and fought over the poor soul as to who would transport him to the hospital (government subsidized fare at the time) we were dumbfounded. But I am sure things have improved in Korea.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Who you gonna call, Ghost Busters?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Or The White Lady 

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I wonder how fast the police would respond. 

Depends on how much you offer to pay them!

Fortunatly, during my many visits / lengthy stays I have not had to deal with any situations that would require me to call any type of emergency services. But eventually finding a place to rent that's reasonably close to a hospital is very high on my list of "must haves". 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gator said:

Depends on how much you offer to pay them!

Fortunatly, during my many visits / lengthy stays I have not had to deal with any situations that would require me to call any type of emergency services. But eventually finding a place to rent that's reasonably close to a hospital is very high on my list of "must haves". 

Great idea. 

A rental close to a Hospital,

close to  a Fire Station

and close to the Police Department.

Good Luck

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Great idea. 

A rental close to a Hospital,

close to  a Fire Station

and close to the Police Department.

Good Luck

Lol. Since I don't have much I don't care if it burns down and would actually prefer NOT to be close to a police station. But being close to a bar would be nice, especially if it's on the way to (or right next to) a hospital - can stop and have a cold one on the way. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gator said:

being close to a bar would be nice, especially if it's on the way to (or right next to) a hospital - can stop and have a cold one on the way. 

Nothing like celebrating with a few cold ones during an emergency en route to  the hospital. Would that be your wife or SO on that stretcher waiting for you? 

What Guy. :smile: