Pacquiao goes down

mogo51
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ahhh, the infamous 9th round that is so often discussed in the local bars and coffee shops.  The question is:  Did he fail to capitalize on his 9th round success?  Or was he told to back off or there would be no rematch with a big payday in November.  With Pac Man's background in Philippine politics the latter is always a strong possibility.  I am not saying he would do that as he is renowned for his integrity.  But boxing is business and entertainment.  It seems to have become somewhat like wrestling is in the USA.

I thought of this too Dave, but when watching the fight, I did not see anything that would indicate that he was 'playing dead'.

I doubt he needs the money.  The 'bleeting' from Philippines is very strong, see there has been a request for the Government of Philippines to investigate???  Yeah right.  

I do believe he was tired, there was suggestion that his training regime for this fight was rather stop/go.  This could have been the reason?

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/2/2017 at 7:48 PM, Queenie O. said:

Manny is a great fighter, and not having watched the fight my husband thought it was pretty even but with Manny on the receiving end of some extra head butts. 

I think that Manny has started to spread himself a little too thin, being a boxer, politician,  basketball player, singer/actor minister and general national hero and philanthropist.  I think that the pull of the big paychecks and glory make it hard to retire, as has been the case for many great fighters in the past. I'd rather see him retire soon while he still has his great health and physicality, a phenomenal record that he can be proud of and the respect and love of so many Filipino people and fans around the world. Only he can decide when to retire though I guess.

Well said Queenie and I also believe that has much to do with the result.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 7/2/2017 at 8:48 PM, Queenie O. said:

I think that the pull of the big paychecks and glory make it hard to retire, as has been the case for many great fighters in the past. I'd rather see him retire soon while he still has his great health and physicality, a phenomenal record that he can be proud of and the respect and love of so many Filipino people and fans around the world. Only he can decide when to retire though I guess.

He already did decide to retire. Announced during his campaign for the Senate. "Retiring from boxing to give his full attention to the Philippine People". Another lying politician, who would have guessed. Took him from hero (sorta) to zero in my book, especially since he was negotiating a fight while he was saying he was done with boxing. Lie to me about one thing and everything you say and do and the reasons behind it are suspect.

• Like 2