Landlines are crazy expensive

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have a PLDT landline that comes with my Internet package.  It frustrates me that they charge about 700 a month for the landline and its only good for local calls.  So I asked if i could get it unlocked to make calls from my landline to a cell phone or to a long distance number in (for example) Cebu or Manila.  Here is how its done and the cost.  CRAZY expensive but convenient if seldom used.

PLDT Long Distance.jpg

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

two words, Monopoly and collusion

only option is to talk fast

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

The last time I personally had a land line? I ripped it out and used the wires to go crab fishing.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think that we have the same PLDT package, internet and local landline for 1299p. We use skype for long distance. My skype account was set up in Canada so I can call Canada at a low price per minute and my wife's account was set up here to make calls to Cebu or Manila.

A warning if you make any change to your account: We used to have a Globe package but was frequently having problems with their signal and modems so we decided to switch to PLDT when we saw that switch promo at 1/2 price for 1 year. We had local landline only so we had to unlock it to call Manila to cancel. We tried to cancel by email to no avail. That change made the Globe account a new account so we had to pay cancellation charges even though we had Globe for 4 years. So now we use skype for long distance.

My wife's sisters and some friends have local PLDT so it is good that way in that once you pay the monthly rate for internet and landline, you always have a "load" plus the calls are clearer on the ear, she doesn't always say "ahhhhhhh  ahhhhhhhhhhhh"  like she does on the cells.

Edited by jpbago
additional info

intrepid
Posted
Posted

We are using Globe with land line and internet.  Also most of the area we use it seems Globe cell service is better so we use Globe Cell with a small plan.  How crazy I can't make an call from my globe cell phone to my globe land line without buying a load that will expire before I would use it because I have a plan.  I don't want to carry a load card for that "maybe time" and have to read those little numbers and and try to figure it all out when I'm in a hurry just to find out the card I have been carrying around for this has expired!

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have a PLDT landline that comes with my Internet package.  It frustrates me that they charge about 700 a month for the landline and its only good for local calls.  So I asked if i could get it unlocked to make calls from my landline to a cell phone or to a long distance number in (for example) Cebu or Manila.  Here is how its done and the cost.  CRAZY expensive but convenient if seldom used.

PLDT Long Distance.jpg

Somebody has a bit between his teeth today.I wonder how much it would cost to Call the Uk or any other country.I don`t need to call very often but it would be very convenient to use a landline.Maybe the quality of reception would be better as well.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I have Globe LTE internet with free 'landline'. How do they give me a landline on a wireless internet connection? They gave me a cellphone, old model that uses the full size sim. Globe and TM cell calls are free as well as local landlines. Calling Manila is p1.5/min I think, not exactly sure but certainly not what PLDT is charging. We had the sim cut and it is now in my wife's dual sim cellphone so she can use the free calls. For text and data she uses the prepaid sim.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

They gave me a cellphone, old model that uses the full size sim. Globe and TM cell calls are free as well as local landlines

Is there a name for this plan?  Wonder if it is still available?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Is there a name for this plan?  Wonder if it is still available?

It is still available it is the WIFI just ask Globe.I think it is about 1300 peso pm.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

It is still available it is the WIFI just ask Globe.I think it is about 1300 peso pm.

I have the Broadband Plan with free landline and wireless router, same price but no offer of a free cell phone.  I tried searching Globes site and their Wifi plans but could not locate it.  Seems like you found a good deal with the wifi plan.  I like my broadband and landline. I just wish I could call my landline from my globe cell phone (plan; MSP500) or other Globe land lines without paying additional and hassle of loads.