A place in Manila to upload large files through the internet

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, banyanman said:

Sorry my previous post wasn't clear. I realise you can compress MXF files, but I can't compress these because they are intended for HD broadcast, so we want maximum possible quality.

If you get desperate you can LBC them to me on a USB stick and I can follow your instructions to upload them using my FIBR.

banyanman
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If you get desperate you can LBC them to me on a USB stick and I can follow your instructions to upload them using my FIBR.

Thanks, that's very generous of you, but I managed to get one of the local TV stations to upload the file for me today, so all is well now. Thanks again for your offer - very much appreciated.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, banyanman said:

Sorry my previous post wasn't clear. I realise you can compress MXF files, but I can't compress these because they are intended for HD broadcast, so we want maximum possible quality.

Not meaning to sound argumentative but would it make any difference if the files are compressed for uploading? 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not meaning to sound argumentative but would it make any difference if the files are compressed for uploading? 

Wouldn't that be dependent on the compression method used?

banyanman
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

In this case yes, because the files I was transferring were for over-the-air HD broadcast on VHF/UHF and were already compressed to particular specifications (MPEG-4 AVC 100 Mbps AVC Intra Codec High 4:2:2 intra profile @ level 4.1, 1920 x 1080) that had been agreed to by the project partners. Any compression method is going to involve changing the technical specifications so was not an option for these files. Certainly if you compressed those files for online viewing you'd never notice any difference in quality, but any compression involves removing data.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, banyanman said:

but any compression involves removing data.

Some compression works by removing the 'extra space' in files due to how files are written to a disk. zipping and un-zipping files should return the file to original but the amount of compression available using this method depends on the the efficiency of the original file to begin with. Other methods do get more aggressive and deteriorate the file to some extent. 

• Like 1

banyanman
Posted
Posted
On 7/12/2017 at 10:05 AM, AlwaysRt said:

Some compression works by removing the 'extra space' in files due to how files are written to a disk. zipping and un-zipping files should return the file to original but the amount of compression available using this method depends on the the efficiency of the original file to begin with. Other methods do get more aggressive and deteriorate the file to some extent. 

You may well be right on that point, AlwaysRt, but I'm a producer not an engineer, so can't debate the technicalities of that. Compression was not an option because as I mentioned in a previous post, the project called for files to be delivered to particular specifications, so we had to stick with those.

• Like 1

banyanman
Posted
Posted
On 7/7/2017 at 9:14 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Agreed, but I have had amazingly good information from their Facebook messenger.  They usually give reliable information.  This is their official page and if you have a PLDT account already be sure to give them your account number as they seem to give better service to their existing customers https://www.facebook.com/PLDTHome/

I did try that Dave. They took 4 days to respond and the reply was:

"Hi there. We're sorry to tell that we cannot provide you the said information, since we are bounded with system limitations. Hope you understand. Thanks. - Jeba of PLDT Customer Care." 

That's a pretty typical PLDT response given my previous experience with them. You must have been luckier than most.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, banyanman said:

I need to find somewhere in Manila where I can upload two 10GB

This is a shot in the dark, but almost every SM mall has a place called global pinoy. I know they offer services to OFW's. Might be worth a shot