Bill of Sale for a Motorcycle

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I recently sold my motorcycle and the new owner went to register it. He sent me a text saying they can't change it to his name without a Bill of Sale. What is the correct format, what do I need to do so he can put it in his name?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

To the best of my limited knowledge he should have received two photos of you and a letter signed by an attorney informing the LTO that you have sold the vehicle to the new buyer. Rough cost for the letter is about 600 php. http://lto.gov.ph/motor-vehicle-registration/312-renewal-of-registration-for-all-classification.html

DEED-OF-SALE-OF-MOTOR-VEHICLE.pdf

Edited by Snowy79
Additions
  • Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

To the best of my limited knowledge he should have received two photos of you and a letter signed by an attorney informing the LTO that you have sold the vehicle to the new buyer. Rough cost for the letter is about 600 php. http://lto.gov.ph/motor-vehicle-registration/312-renewal-of-registration-for-all-classification.html

Yes that is what my friend had to do as well.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

what do I need to do so he can put it in his name?

You go down to the "Vintage Inn" between the market and the PSBank and there is a little "mini mall" of shops that runs between the two streets.  In there is a lawyer (I'm pretty sure there is only one so easy to spot) who will draw up about 5 copies of a bill of sale and notarize them for 500 pesos.

You need to bring the buyer's ID unless he goes in with you or on another occasion because they need to be sure the buyer's name and address are exactly the same as on his legal photo id.  (Easier if the buyer goes in with you)

You need to have your own (the registered owner's) picture ID for the same reason and you have to supply 3 signed photocopies of that id to the purchaser, along with 3 notarized copies of the bill of sale.  Both buyer and seller have to sign the bill of sale so its easier to go in there together and do it.

I just did it on Monday, as the buyer.  I need 3 notarized copies of the bill of sale for LTO, one for my records, and one for the seller.  Thus 5 copies.  The 3 signed copies of the sellers ID, along with the original Certificate of Registration and an up to date Official Reciept are all I will need to register the vehicle and it is what your buyer will need also.

Can it be done easier?  Yes, with money and the right "agent" who will take care of "fixing" all the documents.  But there is no need to do that when all the paperwork can be done by that lawyer in 5 minutes for 500 pesos.  Tell him that your friends Tim and Dave were in there on Monday and only paid 500 so you ain't paying more.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

To the best of my limited knowledge he should have received two photos of you and a letter signed by an attorney informing the LTO that you have sold the vehicle to the new buyer. Rough cost for the letter is about 600 php. http://lto.gov.ph/motor-vehicle-registration/312-renewal-of-registration-for-all-classification.html

The bureaucracy over there is off the radar!  All this to transfer a motorcycle?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

The bureaucracy over there is off the radar!

As the saying goes mogo,,,,,YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET!!!! :hystery:

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You go down to the "Vintage Inn" between the market and the PSBank and there is a little "mini mall" of shops that runs between the two streets.  In there is a lawyer (I'm pretty sure there is only one so easy to spot) who will draw up about 5 copies of a bill of sale and notarize them for 500 pesos.

You need to bring the buyer's ID unless he goes in with you or on another occasion because they need to be sure the buyer's name and address are exactly the same as on his legal photo id.  (Easier if the buyer goes in with you)

You need to have your own (the registered owner's) picture ID for the same reason and you have to supply 3 signed photocopies of that id to the purchaser, along with 3 notarized copies of the bill of sale.  Both buyer and seller have to sign the bill of sale so its easier to go in there together and do it.

I just did it on Monday, as the buyer.  I need 3 notarized copies of the bill of sale for LTO, one for my records, and one for the seller.  Thus 5 copies.  The 3 signed copies of the sellers ID, along with the original Certificate of Registration and an up to date Official Reciept are all I will need to register the vehicle and it is what your buyer will need also.

Can it be done easier?  Yes, with money and the right "agent" who will take care of "fixing" all the documents.  But there is no need to do that when all the paperwork can be done by that lawyer in 5 minutes for 500 pesos.  Tell him that your friends Tim and Dave were in there on Monday and only paid 500 so you ain't paying more.

If this forum had a 'Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner" button I would have clicked it! I settled for the "Like".

Funny thing is, one of my wife's distributors for her online business is in that mini-mall and that is exactly where we met to 'do the deal'. If only I knew then what I know now.... :SugarwareZ-037:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

This reminds me of something my wife told me.

She said that a neighbor here of ours who moved from Buhangin ( spellcheck) to here had their furniture in a truck. They were stopped and asked to show proof of ownership of the contents which included, Televisions, refridgerator, gas range and oven, washing machine and dryer.

Fortunately, they had bought all items new and still had the receipts "paid in full".

BUT What if? Scarey , YEAH

So, a word to the wise.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

This reminds me of something my wife told me.

She said that a neighbor here of ours who moved from Buhangin ( spellcheck) to here had their furniture in a truck. They were stopped and asked to show proof of ownership of the contents which included, Televisions, refridgerator, gas range and oven, washing machine and dryer.

Fortunately, they had bought all items new and still had the receipts "paid in full".

BUT What if? Scarey , YEAH

So, a word to the wise.

As the 'seller' I was not worried about that part. However, as the 'seller' I am concerned about potential responsibility for something involving the bike in the future.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

as the 'seller' I am concerned about potential responsibility for something involving the bike in the future.

That may be the "real" reason that the lawyer wants the buyer to sign the notarized documents.  Sneaky!

• Like 1