Flat Tires And Breakdowns

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If you had a flat tire or breakdown in the Philippines while driving, what would you do?

I recently had a roadside flat on the RV. It was just a matter of calling AAA (American Automobile Association). They sent a repair person to do the tire change on the spot. The tow truck was in the event the roadside was too dangerous. My premium membership allows up to 100 miles of free towing. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Assuming you have a spare tire, you could get pretty much anyone to change it along side the road for a few peso.  A breakdown depends a lot on what you are driving and where you are.  Almost every town and village will have at least a shade tree mechanic who can fix a multicab, or simple repair on other vehicles unless parts are required.    We limped into a small town with our X-Trail.  We then had to call a tow truck out of Cebu City to come tow our vehicle to the Nissan dealer, also in Cebu City.  Round trip for the tow was about 160 kilometers and the cost was 8,500 peso.  Expensive, but this was a professional tow truck with experienced driver.  Speaking of flat tires, you will be AMAZED at how often you get flats here.  I do not recall having a flat in at least the last 20 years of my driving in the USA.  Here you can just about count on having two or three flats a year.  We are in the province, might be better or worse if living in the city.  Our mechanic, from Italy, says it is due to the poor quality of the tires.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Assuming you have a spare tire, you could get pretty much anyone to change it along side the road for a few peso.  A breakdown depends a lot on what you are driving and where you are.  Almost every town and village will have at least a shade tree mechanic who can fix a multicab, or simple repair on other vehicles unless parts are required.    We limped into a small town with our X-Trail.  We then had to call a tow truck out of Cebu City to come tow our vehicle to the Nissan dealer, also in Cebu City.  Round trip for the tow was about 160 kilometers and the cost was 8,500 peso.  Expensive, but this was a professional tow truck with experienced driver.  Speaking of flat tires, you will be AMAZED at how often you get flats here.  I do not recall having a flat in at least the last 20 years of my driving in the USA.  Here you can just about count on having two or three flats a year.  We are in the province, might be better or worse if living in the city.  Our mechanic, from Italy, says it is due to the poor quality of the tires.

Same here in Pattaya Mike, I have had at least 6 flat tyres in 7 years, more than my entire life back in Oz.  Tyre quality  (for bikes) is the problem I believe.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Investing in heavy duty name brand tires and having a good spare helps to cut down on potential flats. There are always vulcanizing shops around that can fix a flat pretty quickly if need be. With our old Mitsubishi Pajero in the past, if a minor breakdown occurred you could most always find a local mechanic shop that could help. We've even asked around if in the province during a breakdown along the road and paid a habalhabal driver to transport a nearby local mechanic to work on the vehicle right on the spot.

In our town we bring all our vehicles for servicing to a great local mechanic shop. The mechanics will even come out no matter where in Cebu they told us,  if we call them in case of an emergency.

I was surprised when doing research early on before we moved here, that in Cebu City there is such a thing as the services of AAA type affiliate.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I carry tools, spare, water, 12V tire inflator because I don't want to change the tire but I will if a blowout. That is for low tech used vehicles.

I'm buying new this time so tools, spare, water and tire inflator!:smile: I like to walk, but only when I choose to do so.

• Like 1

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

Wow what can I say here in Kalibo Aklan I have had a tire just blow up in my carport early one morning if you looked at the tires you would say what's up the tires looked new it was on my Multicab the tire shop told me I should change all the tires because I did not know how old they were ,after that I started asking questions everyone told me that the bran of tires were not that good, mechanic I found a good one that is honest and really knows how to fix cars he works at the Petron station not to far from my place and that is important to have as there are a lot of them out there that just want your money and for you to keep coming back been there I had one from the dealership were I bought my car, the guy cost me some money that I should have never spent 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, kalibojerry said:

my Multicab

Dang, I thought you sold that last year.  But I hear what you are saying about an honest mechanic.  I learned a long time ago that if you find one then he is worth giving a tip to.  That way he hurries back to help when you have another problem and its still cheaper than paying a dishonest one.  Now the trick is to find the honest one.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Investing in heavy duty name brand tires and having a good spare helps to cut down on potential flats.

When I was young, dumb, broke and drove older cars, I learned the hard lessons of driving on crappy tires.

No more.  Now I consider tires to be one of the most important components of a vehicle, so I replace them at the first signs of trouble.  This is even more important here in a very hot climate with many poor roads.

I still have tread left on my current BF Goodrich SUV tires, and they have only 45k KM on them, but I am shopping for new ones.  The worst flat, and the most dangerous,  is a high speed flat where the tires fly apart.  I drive on SCTEX a lot, so I worry about this.  Considering Yokohama this time as I have had good luck with a few of those in the past.

• Like 4