Flat Tires And Breakdowns

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure if it applies to the tyres here but I think it would the way to tell the age of the tyre is to look on the side wall. If you see the letters DOT followed by 4 numbers that's when the tyre was manufactured. The first 2 numbers are the week of the year and the last 2 the year. So DOT 0114 would be the first week of 2014. Mind you most tyres don't even have tread on them here.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I was 19, and broke, I put crappy tires on my car.

Should've listened to Dad, but when the choice was between better tires, or taking that blonde out on a date, I chose the latter.

But having a tire blowout going around 80 mph cured me of that forever.

I don't skimp on tires or brakes, ever.

46932_497_2144.jpg

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

I carry tools, spare, water, 12V tire inflator because I don't want to change the tire but I will if a blowout. That is for low tech used vehicles.

With a used vehicle Robert, that's not a bad idea to do. We even packed a hydraulic tire jack in with a BB box for fast lifts if need be. Anything from a flat to an overheated radiator can be a fix if you're prepared.:smile:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Reboot said:

When I was 19, and broke, I put crappy tires on my car.

Should've listened to Dad, but when the choice was between better tires, or taking that blonde out on a date, I chose the latter.

I don't skimp on tires or brakes, ever.

As long as that was the only blow out you have :whistling:

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

Not too much of a worry here in the Philippines unless you have a major highway nearby.:smile:

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I always keep several things for emergencies, even if it's a new car. A 12v pump, booster cables, a small set of tools, pistol, a gallon of antifreeze, flashlight. In some older vehicles I would take off roading, stuff like an off road hi-jack, a spare pulley and belts, a "come along" hand winch, and so on.

Check your spare's air pressure from time to time. Those things can go flat, and then not be there for when you need them. People never do.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Not too much of a worry here in the Philippines unless you have a major highway nearby.:smile:

You should see how fast they drive those busses from town to town down in Mindanao on those crazy curving roads. No wonder everyone starts a trip with the sign of the Cross....

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Reboot said:

I always keep several things for emergencies, even if it's a new car. A 12v pump, booster cables, a small set of tools, pistol, a gallon of antifreeze, flashlight. In some older vehicles I would take off roading, stuff like an off road hi-jack, a spare pulley and belts, a "come along" hand winch, and so on.

Check your spare's air pressure from time to time. Those things can go flat, and then not be there for when you need them. People never do.

That's a good idea Reboot. A spare tire even tires on your vehicle seem to lose air more in this tropical heat and humidity

• Like 1

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dang, I thought you sold that last year.  But I hear what you are saying about an honest mechanic.  I learned a long time ago that if you find one then he is worth giving a tip to.  That way he hurries back to help when you have another problem and its still cheaper than paying a dishonest one.  Now the trick is to find the honest one.

Dave I have Sold it but this happened to me when I had it I just bought a Ford Ranger what a great Truck and yes you are so right I all ways give him a tip as I am very thank full for what he does for me

• Like 3