Domestic craft beer in Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What local craft beers have you all tasted so far? Any favorites? 

During my last visit I had several SM's but can't say I have ever seen a craft beer available in Cebu. A google search shows a review stating there are now 36 craft beer breweries located in Philippines but some are small scale home breweries many in Manila.

Here in Washington State we have a large number of great local breweries and I enjoy an IPA or two once a week.

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, Old55 said:

What local craft beers have you all tasted so far? Any favorites? 

During my last visit I had several SM's but can't say I have ever seen a craft beer available in Cebu. A google search shows a review stating there are now 36 craft beer breweries located in Philippines but some are small scale home breweries many in Manila.

Here in Washington State we have a large number of great local breweries and I enjoy an IPA or two once a week.

Man, that is one thing I Do miss in WA State is the awesome micro brews and wines, although decent wines are here on Okinawa, and the beers aren't bad, But damned expensive for the later if you want microbrews on draft out in town.   Looking forward to our "pre PI move" trip back to WA this Sept/Oct when the weather if Awesome, Football Season and at least one Seahawks game and a Huskies game (and over priced beers there) and being back in Seattle for a bit.   If you are still around then, would love to meet up for a brew or two. 

As for micros in PI, there was some place in the new "mall" inside the Subic facility that I did some tasters that were pretty good.  Guessing the Subic based pros can provide more info on that. 

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

If you ever visit Iloilo or Bocolod, then have a look in a pub called The Brewery. Alot of imports and local craft beers. Bit pricy as a pint will cost you almost 200pesos on avarage.

Selection at supermarkets is really shit. I couldnt find any decent beers.

• Like 4

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Those in Davao can check out The BEEReaucracy Bar in Obrero. They're my go-to bar for Philippines craft beer and really nice people but the bar is run like most Filipino businesses: the beers on the menu may or may not be available. Also, they stopped carrying Turning Wheels beers which is a great loss to my psyche but a boon to my waistline. :mellow:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is a craft brewery in Baguio on Marcos Highway on the main road into Baguio. I saw this in 2014 just before I returned back to the US and reported on it in another thread. They have a second location in Subic and will soon open a third location in Cebu.

http://baguiocraftbrewery.com/

Edited by earthdome

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JDDavao said:

the bar is run like most Filipino businesses: the beers on the menu may or may not be available.

Not unique to the Philippines. One of the things I always look forward to when I'm in the UK is some real beer - a London bitter for preference. However on this trip I have encountered the following several times.

NSOCH "A pint of London Pride please."

Barman "Sorry that keg's off at the moment."

NSOCH "OK a pint of IPA please."

Barman "Sorry...."

:bonk:

Edited by not so old china hand
Removing elipses
  • Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Subic Bay, Harleys Pub on Baloy Beach had a half-decent locally brewed IPA on tap when I was last there a year or so ago.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2