GPS (English) with Philippines Maps

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Has anyone here purchased an automotive GPS unit with English directions and Philippines maps already loaded into the unit. How good are the maps and where did you purchase the unit? I just bought a 2009 Toyota Fortuner and wanted to take a couple of road trips over the next couple of years.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think you can just download Google off line maps to your phone. Chances are anything you get specifically for the Philippines will be based on an older version of Google maps anyway.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

When we went from Subic to Vigan via Hundred Islands we just used google maps on the phone, worked very well, even gives live-ish traffic hot spots.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think you can just download Google off line maps to your phone. Chances are anything you get specifically for the Philippines will be based on an older version of Google maps anyway.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

You definitely need something that works when you are offline and have no access to internet data. I have also found in the province that Google Maps can be misleading. Showing something on the map with the type of line that made it look like a major road when in reality it was an unpaved one lane path through the mountains.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here in Davao City I have seen the names of the streets change. You're lucky to find a street sign somewhere along the route Some of the long boulevards have one name at a certain spot, then another name down the road a bit and still another at the end. 

Confusing for foreigners when looking for a certain location on a specific street but no such street exists anymore. So, I wouldn't trust GPS or Google Earth. 

When I first arrived, I had to find my way around by  land marks like a gas station or a hotel, restaurant, or large store. Taxi drivers had a good time taking me for a tour of the city. They love to take side streets and confuse you. I have to tell them to "stay on the main road". Their excuse is too much traffic. I tell them I'm paying the meter so stay on main road. It helps to know when they want to extend the ride in their favour.

Edited by Gratefuled

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I use OsmAmd on my samsung tablet free to download and  free to use uses tablets built in gps.

Its very good you can set it to show points of interest such as SM stores jollibees etc.

Well worth a try its on google store

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a Garmin GPS which I purchased when I lived in Thailand.

When I moved to Phils I purchased their SE Asia map add on which includes the Philippines. It is great for the major urban areas, especially Manila, Cebu, Davao etc, even in CDO the street maps are quite accurate. It also shows the major national road network so would be good for general road trips and at least would get you back to 'civilisation' if you got lost out in the 'boondocks'.

I know that Toyota do a SatNav option for the Fortuner so your local Toyota dealer might have a suggestion for an after market fitment.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1