My Wife wants to Drive the car!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I consider myself a good driver as having driven without an accident in the US for many years.

Please don't take this the wrong way as you probably are a good driver.  My comment is:  As a professional driver of 30 years in Canada, we found that the most dangerous "other professional drivers", (male mainly but some females), were the ones who had driven about 5 to 15 years without an accident.  They seemed to think that since it had not happened they must be very good/smart/experienced.  By the time they got past the 20 year mark they had learned that "accidents" happen to everyone, even the guy with 40 years under his belt such as my ex gf's father who drove 40 years with no accidents and then died in a head-on (at high speed in Canada) because he did not think he needed airbags.  The guy who hit him was not a good driver but he survived due to airbags.

Anyway, just a pet peeve from back in my "on the job" days. :shades:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

W

1 hour ago, Reboot said:

I'm from Miami, half the drivers there are fresh off the boat. It can be done....dangerously.

Reboot--when my husband first came to the States to live, here really needed a car to work, as I didn't drive at that time and had no car.  His sister who lived in New Jersey, had an old station wagon  to offer him. He took a bus to her place to pick up that car even without having gotten a drivers license even. He had only occasionally driven his boss's Volkswagon around the resort that he had worked as a young man in Cebu province. He took that station wagon and drove it (unregistered of course) in snow across the Jersey turnpike and back to Providence. He slid into a gully almost but made it back home blessedly.  After a local job training for cable television installers my husband was offered a pretty lucrative job as an installer, but he would have to drive a company truck and spend weekdays in Maine at the company's warehouse during weekdays and commute home with the truck on weekends. He never told his employer that he had only recently gotten his driver's license, but he ended up doing very well. Filipinos and immigrants in general can be quite ballsy hustlers, and that's why they often succeed in what they undertake without the caution? that many westerners rely on.

Maybe many of your wives or SO could surprise you and turn out to be quite capable drivers.  My sister in law lives in New Jersey with her American husband, and she's a great driver.:smile: 

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Please don't take this the wrong way as you probably are a good driver.  My comment is:  As a professional driver of 30 years in Canada, we found that the most dangerous "other professional drivers", (male mainly but some females), were the ones who had driven about 5 to 15 years without an accident.  They seemed to think that since it had not happened they must be very good/smart/experienced.  By the time they got past the 20 year mark they had learned that "accidents" happen to everyone, even the guy with 40 years under his belt such as my ex gf's father who drove 40 years with no accidents and then died in a head-on (at high speed in Canada) because he did not think he needed airbags.  The guy who hit him was not a good driver but he survived due to airbags.

Anyway, just a pet peeve from back in my "on the job" days. :shades:

Oh I agree completely Dave. My experience was just that. Here even though I drive defensively, I'm not sure that in city driving I might be too emotional or not reflexive enough and I might tend "over think" my driving here. I stick to the province for the most part.:smile: 

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yesterday in Cebu city we saw a computer printed sign posted on an SUV that read: "New Lady Driver. Patience" 

In the same vein, I see these signs on vehicles that appear to be new purchases, that might say "Caution New Driver"  Have these drivers just recently purchased these vehicles (men or women) and are now just "winging it" and taking them out on the roads? I hope anyway that the sign helps them and their fellow drivers.:89::smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
spelling..
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

sign posted on an SUV that read: "New Lady Driver. Pateience" 

I guess if it's a "Babe" driving the car then one of them "Baby on board" signs might be appropriate :hystery:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Maybe many of your wives or SO could surprise you and turn out to be quite capable drivers.

I am not sure how surprised I would be, it is the current reliance on luck and 'being quite ballsy' that equates to being a danger the vehicle, others vehicles, property, all the way up to injury or death to themselves or others. May do fine and become a great driver, may lose control and run over kids in a school zone and head on into a truck. (sorry, like Dave I have professional experience. Including a drunk trying to drive under a flatbed loaded with 40,000 pounds of lumber I was hauling. Even at under 30mph he was thrown about 50 feet from his car, very spooky several minutes looking for him.) 

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I am not sure how surprised I would be, it is the current reliance on luck and 'being quite ballsy' that equates to being a danger the vehicle, others vehicles, property, all the way up to injury or death to themselves or others. May do fine and become a great driver, may lose control and run over kids in a school zone and head on into a truck. (sorry, like Dave I have professional experience. Including a drunk trying to drive under a flatbed loaded with 40,000 pounds of lumber I was hauling. Even at under 30mph he was thrown about 50 feet from his car, very spooky several minutes looking for him.) 

You're absolutely right!:thumbsup:

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

If it's your personal car that you depend on, as well as your only wife or SO, and your wife or SO is rather new to driving it might be a different story. 

Queenie, you cracked me up! I usually have more than one mode of transportation so I always have a spare. It saves trouble. Having a second wife or significant other seems like it would make more trouble so I will just have to take care and not let anything happen to the one.:smile:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

For me it's the drivers that lack confidence that's caused me the most issues. I've lost count of the times I'm driving along at the speed limit and there's someone plodding along at half the speed. Holding the traffic up and causing others to brake suddenly. Or attempting to pull out at a junction then change their minds causing the oncoming traffic to swerve out of the way and at times just missing traffic coming the opposite way. In the UK you'll fail your test if you fail to keep up with the traffic flow or hesitate. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

In the UK you'll fail your test if you fail to keep up with the

In the Philippines you'll fail your test if you fail to keep up with the "cash under the table" flow.

• Like 4