What is that back up radar thingy?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My friend has a fancy "thingy" on his SUV that lets him see whats behind him at bumper level and has a beep beep that gets louder and faster as he gets too close to an object behind him.

I thought that was pretty fancy and he said "Oh yeah, you can get those as aftermarket add-ons and put them on any car.

So what are they and where do you get them in Philippines?  Are they any good and what do they cost?

Gary D
Posted
Posted

They are just ultrasonic reversing sensors. Many western cars have them as standard now a days. Some even zone the display so you know where the obstruction is. If you want to be really flash a reversing camera is the way to go.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My friend has a fancy "thingy" on his SUV that lets him see whats behind him at bumper level and has a beep beep that gets louder and faster as he gets too close to an object behind him.

I thought that was pretty fancy and he said "Oh yeah, you can get those as aftermarket add-ons and put them on any car.

So what are they and where do you get them in Philippines?  Are they any good and what do they cost?

Dave

You have been in a third world country to long. :smile:

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I have blind spot sensors that will visually warn if there is a vehicle either on the left or right side.  The signal is also audible if I use my left or right side signal. There is also back-up camera. The newer models offer 360 degrees views using multiple built-in cameras. You can purchase optional equipment that will record 24 hours a day while the vehicle engine is running. It automatically erases and records during the next 24 hours. The video is for use in a court or with your insurance adjuster as to which driver is at fault in an accident.

My built-in GPS can disable the vehicle next time the person who took it places it in park position. The GPS also informs the police as to the vehicle's location after I report the vehicle as stolen. But this is additional service at a cost of $120 a month. Decided to go cheap and declined the optional service. Reason is my insurance policy will replace the vehicle during the first four years at the price I originally paid for it, if stolen or totally destroyed, less a $1,000 deductible.

I paid extra for the above, but the equipment is standard with the 2017 high end automotive models.

BTW, car burglars won't steal certain models because of the anti-theft gadgets. One burglar's face was featured in the evening news. A dashboard camera took his picture and transmitted it back to the owner's computer. How do you deny theft to the judge with that kind of evidence?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dave, Dave, Dave.... That's way too complicated. Try to fit in and do what the typical Filipino does, honk your horn every few seconds. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The USA makes a backup camera mandatory in new cars next year.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/u-s-requiring-back-up-cameras-in-cars-by-2018/

The National Highway Safety Transportation Agency (NHTSA) announced a new rule today that will require vehicles built from May 1, 2018 on to have a back-up camera. The rule applies to all road-legal vehicles under 10,000 pounds.

Many cars today come with back-up cameras as either standard or optional equipment. When the driver puts the car in reverse, a display in the dashboard shows the image from a camera mounted at the rear of the car. Some cars show a simple video feed from the rear camera, while others overlay distance and trajectory lines, the latter of which indicates the path of the car depending on how the wheels are turned.

The NHTSA, under the US Department of Transportation, has been considering these rules for years. Congress passed a law requiring the Department of Transportation to come up with rules mandating rear-view cameras in 2008.

In announcing the new requirement, NHTSA cites an average of 210 fatalities and 15,000 injuries from back-up accidents every year, and notes that children under 5 years old account for 31 percent of the deaths.

The rule requires a back-up camera to show a field of vision at least 10 feet wide directly behind the vehicle, going back a minimum of 20 feet. Safety advocate KidsAndCars.org and Sony both advocated 180 degree cameras be required, but automakers noted in comments to NHTSA that 130 degree cameras, supplemented by side view mirrors, would be adequate.

Other parts of the rule considered display size and linger time, or how long the rear-view camera image remains on the display when the driver changes out of reverse. NHTSA declined to mandate an exact screen size in cars, noting that the image size will vary depending on where the display is mounted in the dashboard. Instead, NHTSA requires that the objects defined in its testing parameters appear at a specific size to the driver.

For linger time, NHTSA mandates that the image should remain on the screen for at least 4 seconds, but no more than 8 seconds. Linger time was considered necessary due to some situations in which drivers change from reverse to drive frequently, such as hooking up a trailer or parallel parking.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Reversing cameras Dave, everywhere these days on cars.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Reversing cameras

Thanks.  I have never had one.  Last car I had was decades old and I sold that 3 years ago.  Looks like the one I just bought had such a thing at one time but it is long gone (probably backed into something and broke the camera :hystery: ) but this one on Lazada looks like it will do the trick and cheap enough.  Does it look like what you are referring to?

http://www.lazada.com.ph/car-rear-view-monitor-with-@night-vision-reverse-video-camera-withwaterproof-lightweight-nylon-car-cover-for-sedan-cars-3577633.html

PS.  @Jack Peterson have you got a reversing camera on your fancy new car?  I did not notice when I rode in it.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

PS.  @Jack Peterson have you got a reversing camera on your fancy new car?  I did not notice when I rode in it.

No But I have ordered reversing Censors

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

reversing Censors

Hmmm    Those are even cheaper on Lazada.  Now I have to make a decision.  Here is what I am looking at so tell me if it is similar to what you ordered

http://www.lazada.com.ph/4-parking-sensors-led-car-backup-reverse-radar-kit-with-digitalcolored-led-display-black-980519.html

Is there an advantage to ordering the camera AND the sensors or does the camera usually come with the sensors AND do they have sensors for the front bumper so you can close to the wall without touching it (my car has a long front end).