Living your dream

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Living cost and living your dream.

We are all different in what we think we all need to live the life we are wanting, I am sure there have been a few sniggles and gasps from a few reading post from what others say they can live on.

But what is that figure, I have thoughts on what I think I can manage on with a large back up I must add,  but if a few of you could put in what you think you may need that could help a few of us who are not there yet.

On TV last night there was a program ,to retire at 40, well I will be 59 this November and just 1 more year left if my counting and adding is right.

This bloke recons to retire at 40 just add all your annual expenditure and times it by 25, if you have that you can afford to retire he says.

So what will I be spending each year over there, £6000 or £10,000  or even less who knows, but again is there anyone who is careful but is having a great time , doing what he wants with his income.

Look forward to hearing from many.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Steve I live on about 750 per month.If we had no rent that would be an extra 10,000 pesos.We don`t go without and have small trips most weekends.We eat good food and I have a beer a few times a week.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This sounds suspiciously like another "how much to live in Philippines" thread.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103): :bonk: 

Ok continue :popcorn:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Steve I live on about 750 per month.If we had no rent that would be an extra 10,000 pesos.We don`t go without and have small trips most weekends.We eat good food and I have a beer a few times a week.

Cheers kev and you have a family to support on that amount too, good on you mate.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This sounds suspiciously like another "how much to live in Philippines" thread.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103): :bonk: 

Ok continue :popcorn:

Well sort of , but if any people living in France or Spain or anywhere else would like to contribute.:whistling:

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Well sort of , but if any people living in France or Spain or anywhere else would like to contribute.:whistling:

Try cost of living in Thailand. Lots of foreigners living there. My cousin is one of them but he is financially well off.

I like Japan but could not afford to live there nor would I want to but I still like it.

The same with South Korea and Hong Kong.

The Philippines is best for those on a small fixed income.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Some in areas of Cambodia, Viet Nam and Malaysia say its just as cheap there but there is more of a language problem unless you are just socializing with other expats.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I generally have a goal of staying under 750 also (not including Visa extensions), although I have frequently missed that in the last year due to getting married, unplanned trip to the US, and moving 3 times. Each time we moved the place was less furnished than the last. Still need a few chairs, a couple side tables, and the biggie, aircon. I do have an absolute, aint going back to the ATM until next month limit that I have followed, and that is 1500 (and does include Visa extensions). So, setting up housing and purchasing transportation aside. 750 seems to be a very reasonable number, add if you plan on actual trips vs day trips, and always western food vs occasionally.

*Since this is your topic the 750 and 1500 figures are pounds, not USD.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Some in areas of Cambodia, Viet Nam and Malaysia say its just as cheap there but there is more of a language problem unless you are just socializing with other expats.

So true.

A lot of people seem to push south America too for being cheap.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Try cost of living in Thailand. Lots of foreigners living there. My cousin is one of them but he is financially well off.

I like Japan but could not afford to live there nor would I want to but I still like it.

The same with South Korea and Hong Kong.

There are some folk living in the Philippines on a very large income too. Well compared to mine.

• Like 2