What are some pros and cons about living in and/or away from the city?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are advantages and disadvantages either way. It just all depends on your needs and wants.

I obviously prefer the city where everything is close by. 

Unfortunately, the woman I fell in love with and eventually married already had a house away from the city. 

I don't like the inconveniences of living away from everything. 

I rented a condo walking distance to SM Mall. It had a pool, recreation room, and all the amenities. 

Later, obviously when we married, I moved into her house and started remodelling it to my liking. 

What about YOU?

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

In / or away? :89:

Away on another continent. :smile:

If we had no children I think we would be living on Bantyan Island or along Sogod Bay Leyte. On the other hand both places are very very very far from many things I/we would wish to have on hand. 

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Old55 said:

If we had no children I think we would be living on Bantyan Island or along Sogod Bay Leyte. On the other hand both places are very very very far from many things I/we would wish to have on hand. 

You could live off the land like the natives. 

That is if you can live without your smart phone, television, computer, A/C. 

just eat wild fruit, veggies, and fish :smile:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

In / or away? :89:

Away on another continent. :smile:

We live out here in northern Cebu, and yes without children in the house, the seaside and peacefulness of living out here does have it's benefits.  I do think that I could lead a more stimulating life in or closer to Cebu City because of the many advantages of city living, but it takes a lot of money to really live the lifestyle to the way I'd like.:smile: My husband hates the city and traffic, so I guess the travel back and forth to the city is my only practical choice.:smile:

• Like 5

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I grew up in what was a small town in New Jersey. We weren't far from dairy farms and fields of summer sweet corn and we actually had a livestock market about a block from our house. I hunted and fished and owned a pickup truck.

After moving to Seattle, I was hooked on city life. There was just so much of the world to experience and it was all just beyond my front door. I could never live in a rural setting again, although I will always be able to appreciate the reasons others prefer to.

We're on the edge of the city here in Davao. It's about 7Km to SM Mall and about the same to the Poblacion. Our area is just now starting to see interest from the city. They've built a shortcut from one of the main highways and are now widening the main road to four lanes.

We have everything we need: two hospitals, a major mall, Jollibee and Chow King, plenty of crossroad markets and sari sari stores, all nearby. If we needed them, there are several schools nearby as well.

We don't have a car (it's cheaper to use taxis for us than own a car) and I don't mind the traffic too much as I love to people watch from the back seat.

It's the city life for me. At least, this city.

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Our place is very rural but about 3k from a largish town Dinilupihan and 30 mins from Subic. Manila 3 hours away. Best of both worlds.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We are only an hour from the city by jeepney (25 minutes by car - which I do have, do not want).  I get pretty bored out here, but I am a city boy.  I looked at her province when I first arrived and there was no way I was living over 2 hours from a grocery store.  I find the city more fun, just as friendly, and quieter.  More city people have jobs and want to sleep.  Out here we have some very noisy neighbors. Many of them, various distances, but someone is always "sharing" their shitty taste in what they consider music.  Out in her province it was worse.

We lived in the city for over a year and I much preferred it.  After I retire we will most likely move back.  We are just where we are because there is no rent. If I had enough money we would move to Boracay, and she agreed to that!  ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

We are only an hour from the city by jeepney (25 minutes by car - which I do have, do not want).  I get pretty bored out here, but I am a city boy.  I looked at her province when I first arrived and there was no way I was living over 2 hours from a grocery store.  I find the city more fun, just as friendly, and quieter.  More city people have jobs and want to sleep.  Out here we have some very noisy neighbors. Many of them, various distances, but someone is always "sharing" their shitty taste in what they consider music.  Out in her province it was worse.

We lived in the city for over a year and I much preferred it.  After I retire we will most likely move back.  We are just where we are because there is no rent. If I had enough money we would move to Boracay, and she agreed to that!  ha ha  :tiphat:

I can't imagine Boracay being quiet

• Like 1