High Cost of Construction, or Taken to the Cleaners?

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

My wife and I bought a small duplex for her kids in Cavite, near Manila.  It's new construction, so there's still things to be finished, even after moving in.  They need a metal railing fence around the front yard and roof/overhang for the dirty kitchen in back.  We were quoted 230,000 pesos ($5,000US) for both projects.  After choking, I explained that was probably more than what the cost would be here in the US.  She's adamant that construction costs like that are expensive in the Philippines.  I suspect that's not the case, but maybe I'm wrong.  Does that sound like the going rate for this kind of project in the Philippines?  We're handling this remotely from here in the States, so I'm suspicious that this is simply taking advantage of our supposed deep pockets. 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I would be very suspicious. 

Get more estimates. Have them calculate and show the cost of material and what kind of material. How many workers involved? How long will it take?  Use these estimates when you compare other contractors. 

This is what I do. 

After we agree on the cost, I just pay for material in advance. I give small payment for labor on a daily basis.

If you give all the money at once, you may not see them again or maybe not as often as you expected.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Way too high.  

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Seems terribly high. We bought our own materials but the total labor cost to build the 8-to-10 foot, hollow block wall around our 768sqm lot was P600,000 in 2015. That those two small projects would cost you a third of our huge, months-long project seems fishy.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 7/17/2017 at 9:24 AM, Maxheadspace said:

They need a metal railing fence around the front yard and roof/overhang for the dirty kitchen in back.

Its hard to know the cost without knowing all the specs but, for example, a concrete hollow block wall around the front yard would cost (if my memory is correct) at least 3,000 pesos a meter and a quality metal fence does not seem to be much cheaper.  So a 100 meter fence could cost 300,000 pesos all by itself.  How much fence and overhang are we talking about?

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Get more estimates, get drawings of the plans,if possible buy the materials yourself or in your case get the kids to buy the materials never let the builders buy the materials if possible use a builders merchant that delivers some dont, and always pay the workmen daily at the end of the day.

The estimate seems a bit high compared to the cost of some of the things we have had done.

If you have to let the builders buy the materials make sure you get reciepts as you could end up buying 

New tools  and materials etc for their next job yes it happens.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Get more estimates, get drawings of the plans,if possible buy the materials yourself or in your case get the kids to buy the materials never let the builders buy the materials if possible use a builders merchant that delivers some dont, and always pay the workmen daily at the end of the day.

The estimate seems a bit high compared to the cost of some of the things we have had done.

If you have to let the builders buy the materials make sure you get reciepts as you could end up buying 

New tools  and materials etc for their next job yes it happens.

Good advice.

I might add that the quality of the material is also important in estimates. Hollow blocks are an example. Some cheap ones are very brittle and crumble and/or crack easily. 

Another thing if comparing cost is that contractors usually get a discount on the same material that a non contractor would not. This is standard procedure even in the states. 

Make them clean up their mess every day after they finish. If you notice the workers doing shabby work then tell the contractor about it before it is too late.  You have a right to complain. 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Good advice.

I might add that the quality of the material is also important in estimates. Hollow blocks are an example. Some cheap ones are very brittle and crumble and/or crack easily. 

Another thing if comparing cost is that contractors usually get a discount on the same material that a non contractor would not. This is standard procedure even in the states. 

Make them clean up their mess every day after they finish. If you notice the workers doing shabby work then tell the contractor about it before it is too late.  You have a right to complain. 

I agree but how do you accomplish this when the contractors finish at 5pm Philippine time which is 4am for the OP East Coast time? I am not sure how to know what you are getting from so far away.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I am not sure how to know what you are getting from so far away.

Scratching Head.jpg PROBLEMS!