Posted

As others said, our house designed in metric but some materials are imperial

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

our house designed in metric but some materials are imperial

Thanks.  I finally figured out why there are so many cracks where the ceiling does not go all the way to the walls and they fill those crack and paint over but give it a couple of minor tremors and the dang cracks are back.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):  

Where can I buy some "Imperial to Metric" crack filler :hystery:

• Like 5

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

And don't forget the "standard substandard" sizes for things like angle bar, Rebar, and flat bar stock.

I had a heck of a time understanding what was going on when my wife and I went shopping for our block wall materials. We bought angle bar that was, among other things, cut to points and embedded in the top of the walls. It was supposed to be 5mm thick and we were being shown 3mm and 4mm "substandard".

We finally got it out of the hardware store owners that actual 3/16ths-inch 5mm was "special order" because no one used it, even when called for. Instead, everyone used what was called 5mm but was apparently miss-sized by the (Chinese) manufacturers and sold at a discount for the difference. :bonk:

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Where can I buy some "Imperial to Metric" crack filler 

You have to buy it outside the Philippines.  It is a special order item and only available two times a year on the second Thursday of the months with a letter "C" in the spelling.  This special order can only be shipped by a Philippine Citizen by BB while living outside the country to a close family member with government ID to prove they are legally related and allowed to receive the BB.  Otherwise you can take your chances and ship it anytime, by any shipper, and pay whatever the duties and taxes that the BOC deem able to charge you which most likely would be ten to thirty times the amount of the"Imperial to Metric" filler.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Where can I buy some "Imperial to Metric" crack filler :hystery:

Similar to this?

• Like 4

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

And don't forget the "standard substandard" sizes for things like angle bar, Rebar, and flat bar stock.

ahhh but rebar is actually 10mm, 12mm and 16mm we used...........BUT the angle iron for the roof was a mix 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 angle iron that was 5mm thick.........beggers belief 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Similar to this?

I love the last line in the clip "Available in Oprah size!" :hystery:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

ahhh but rebar is actually 10mm, 12mm and 16mm we used...........BUT the angle iron for the roof was a mix 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 angle iron that was 5mm thick.........beggers belief 

Probably undersized 1/4"

• Like 2