Power Inverter/Charger - Order from CDR King?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

On the hunt for a pure sine wave inverter/charger but not at solar p30,000+ pricing. CDR King has one that looks interesting but no stock here in Duma and the girls there at the time said they could not order. 

Has anyone had a local CDR King store order something you found on their website? Is it their policy not to or were the girls either not trained or too lazy to order and I should go back?

Any other sources for pure sine wave inverter/battery charger you know of?

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I would be a bit wary of sourcing one directly here in the Philippines.

They all seem to be cheap rubbish Chinese units which probably won't last very long, and/or are very inefficient. I haven't seen anything of quality worth purchasing from the likes CDR King/Citi Hardware/Homeplus/True value et al. Especially a dual unit such as an inverter/charger. Personally, unless you are restricted in respect of space, my advice would be to have two separate units. That way if the charger ever packs up you still have the inverter. 

Is it possible to have one shipped to you (possibly in a Balikbayan box) from the US?

LBC (I think) have a service called Shopping Cart (or maybe Shipping Cart) where they ship things to you in Phils you have purchased from Amazon in the US.

Ken

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

its best to get one with a pure sine wave inverter , generators have a floating earth/neutral and can screw up sensitive electronics ,so its best to get one with the sine wave inverter and then hammer an earth rod or attach an earth wire to your incoming earth

most of the cheap inverters over here are manufactured on places like china ,ive got a honda copy and ive checked the sine wave and voltage/amps ,its all good

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I would be a bit wary of sourcing one directly here in the Philippines.

They all seem to be cheap rubbish Chinese units which probably won't last very long, and/or are very inefficient. I haven't seen anything of quality worth purchasing from the likes CDR King/Citi Hardware/Homeplus/True value et al. Especially a dual unit such as an inverter/charger. Personally, unless you are restricted in respect of space, my advice would be to have two separate units. That way if the charger ever packs up you still have the inverter. 

Is it possible to have one shipped to you (possibly in a Balikbayan box) from the US?

LBC (I think) have a service called Shopping Cart (or maybe Shipping Cart) where they ship things to you in Phils you have purchased from Amazon in the US.

Ken

While I do not want to buy trash the days of money is no object are behind me. Just the shipping is the same price as a unit is here, plus 3 or 4 times that to buy one. Then there is the waiting 3 months to get it.

I am basically wanting a UPS, not what APC and the rest lie about calling their units a UPS when they are really a 'UPHurry up and shut everything off because the battery only lasts a few minutes'. I haven't seen how a power supply and separate charger can be set up as constant AVR (automatic voltage regulator), auto switch to battery, auto charging - set it up and never have to touch it. 

9 hours ago, bastonjock said:

its best to get one with a pure sine wave inverter , generators have a floating earth/neutral and can screw up sensitive electronics ,so its best to get one with the sine wave inverter and then hammer an earth rod or attach an earth wire to your incoming earth most of the cheap inverters over here are manufactured on places like china ,ive got a honda copy and ive checked the sine wave and voltage/amps ,its all good

I am not a big fan of Chinese products but they do seem to be able to manufacture adequate items at times. Separating the junk for the OK (have not seen great) is the trick. The 2 I keep bouncing back and forth with are

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=15732&main=140#.WW6yi4h95EY 

and

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=9797&main=144#.WW6y5oh95EY

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

I am not a big fan of Chinese products but they do seem to be able to manufacture adequate items at times. Separating the junk for the OK (have not seen great) is the trick. The 2 I keep bouncing back and forth with are

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=15732&main=140#.WW6yi4h95EY 

and

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=9797&main=144#.WW6y5oh95EY

The cheaper one "seems" to have better specs, although there is no picture of the battery. I can't really read the battery of the 10k php one which does show the battery. In either case I think you will have to get a second battery and gang them together.:89:

If you have a laptop and it's battery is good at least 4 hours, I wouldn't connect it to your power supply setup, just mains power with it's own surge protection or all of it plugged into an AVR, because TV, router and fan might get considerable more runtime if the power supply isn't trying to keep your laptop topped up. Same thing, shell out for a fan with battery backup.

I know you don't want to go through a lot of hassle, so just for informational purposes, most TVs and computers rectify the input voltage to...you guessed it, 12V DC at the board.:571c66d400c8c_1(103): I ran across this little factoid about TVs because I want to buy a van and was interested in installing a larger than standard TV/monitor for the rear seat passengers and occasionally me.:smile:

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, robert k said:

The cheaper one "seems" to have better specs, although there is no picture of the battery. I can't really read the battery of the 10k php one which does show the battery. In either case I think you will have to get a second battery and gang them together.:89:

If a battery actually comes with the 'cheap' one I am running a US made battery anyway. In either case I may hook up one of my APC UPSs to the battery that comes with it for use mostly as a backup for the fan in the bedroom and never warm up to notice a brownout at night.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

If a battery actually comes with the 'cheap' one I am running a US made battery anyway. In either case I may hook up one of my APC UPSs to the battery that comes with it for use mostly as a backup for the fan in the bedroom and never warm up to notice a brownout at night.

It says this: "INVERTER 1000VA (CONVERT DC TO AC POWER) WITH BATTERY", of course I'm fully aware of where you are. The "battery" could be the cheapest motorcycle battery possible as there is no picture or specs, or there could be no battery at all.

For that matter the picture of the heavy duty battery for the 10k php model means nothing. I need a shrug icon.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, robert k said:

It says this: "INVERTER 1000VA (CONVERT DC TO AC POWER) WITH BATTERY", of course I'm fully aware of where you are. The "battery" could be the cheapest motorcycle battery possible as there is no picture or specs, or there could be no battery at all.

For that matter the picture of the heavy duty battery for the 10k php model means nothing. I need a shrug icon.

I found a few videos, the p10k unit looks like it comes with a 12v 100Ah battery like it says in the specs. Quality of course is unknown + CDR King + price = unlikely to be wonderful. I could not tell with the p6.5k unit but if it does really come with a battery it would certainly be too small for my requirements in addition to quality issue.

I am basically only looking for a UPS that uses an external battery and is built to run hours not minutes.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

I found a few videos, the p10k unit looks like it comes with a 12v 100Ah battery like it says in the specs. Quality of course is unknown + CDR King + price = unlikely to be wonderful. I could not tell with the p6.5k unit but if it does really come with a battery it would certainly be too small for my requirements in addition to quality issue.

I am basically only looking for a UPS that uses an external battery and is built to run hours not minutes.

I hope it works out for you, I think I saw a couple of the same videos. One of the videos that made claims they connected a couple of computers, a DVD player and so forth all at the same time. Of course the computers were doing nothing, just switched on and could have been on the lowest power settings. The small screens that were lit up probably pulled less than 70W between the three of them. If you saw that same video? I would extrapolate battery runtime at possibly 60% of what they claimed with a true load which would not be terrible if you could double capacity for the cost of an extra battery. Certainly not bad considering the cost of a serious UPS in the US. Let me know how it works out if that is what you get.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

I hope it works out for you, I think I saw a couple of the same videos. One of the videos that made claims they connected a couple of computers, a DVD player and so forth all at the same time. Of course the computers were doing nothing, just switched on and could have been on the lowest power settings. The small screens that were lit up probably pulled less than 70W between the three of them. If you saw that same video? I would extrapolate battery runtime at possibly 60% of what they claimed with a true load which would not be terrible if you could double capacity for the cost of an extra battery. Certainly not bad considering the cost of a serious UPS in the US. Let me know how it works out if that is what you get.

Yup, saw that one too. CDR King demonstration video. Like you though, I think the other unit might have a bit better specs.

Still have the issue of will they order it for me or not. Planning to try again in a day or two.

• Like 1