Jump to content
Old55

Balikbayan Box Major Rule Changes

Recommended Posts

Old55    6,308

Pending rule changes for shipping Balikbayan boxes.

Shipper must be Filipino Citizen and submit a copy of passport along with an itemized list of all contents.

Recipient must be immediate family member of overseas Filipino sender. 

Or.

A Foreigner may ship a box to Philippines but taxes will be collected from each itemized item in the box by the recipient.

 

We will no longer be sending any boxes to Philippines. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave Hounddriver    19,121
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Shipper must be Filipino Citizen and submit a copy of passp

I read this is already being disputed because Filipino Citizens who become OFWs often become dual citizens.  It means they are still Filipino Citizens but may not even need to HAVE a passport any more, or if they do it may be one from a foreign country.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Peterson    15,234
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I read this is already being disputed because Filipino Citizens who become OFWs often become dual citizens.  It means they are still Filipino Citizens but may not even need to HAVE a passport any more, or if they do it may be one from a foreign country.

 Yes and it has been clarified that on their US passport it quite clearly states Place of Birth  ie; PHILIPPINES Proof enough I think EH?

 Dave, on your Canadian passport what does it say about Place of Birth?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old55    6,308

Yes and maybe guys. My wife for example is dual US Philippines however her Philippines passport has expired. Having said that no way in heck are we going to have a Box company have a copy of my or her passport. We also are not going to provide a shopping list for theft.

It the Christmas boxes become threatened there will be blood in the streets. :71161::omg:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave Hounddriver    19,121
18 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

 Dave, on your Canadian passport what does it say about Place of Birth?

It says I was born in GBR but my point is, since becoming a Canadian citizen (at age 21) and still being a citizen of the UK (by birth) there were many years I lived in Canada and had no passport at all as it had expired, I had every right to live there, and I had no immediate plans to leave the country.  I can only presume there are many OFWs in the same situation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Peterson    15,234
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It says I was born in GBR but my point is, since becoming a Canadian citizen (at age 21) and still being a citizen of the UK (by birth)

 Well Dave as I see it IF someone's says you can only do it if you are a Brit You are by Birth and that is the Factor they seem to want, are you a Filipino, YES i was Born there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlwaysRt    2,802

The only rule change I am concerned with is if or when they are actually going to follow the rules. Until then, does not matter what the rules are.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davewe    1,824

My wife read it to me last night. They not only want proof of the sender (and in recipient must be immediate family) but receipts for any new items. I assume they are trying to crack down on people sending new bags or laptops in a BB box for resale. Thank goodness we just shipped our BB boxes for our move a week or two ago. It might be hard providing a receipt for those 19th century tools I have; I'm old but not that old.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jollygoodfellow    13,060
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Pending rule changes for shipping Balikbayan boxes.

Shipper must be Filipino Citizen and submit a copy of passport along with an itemized list of all contents.

Recipient must be immediate family member of overseas Filipino sender. 

Or.

A Foreigner may ship a box to Philippines but taxes will be collected from each itemized item in the box by the recipient.

 

We will no longer be sending any boxes to Philippines. 

 

 

Can we have a link to the news source ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old55    6,308

It's GMA Philippines video feed, I attempted to post it but was unable to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×