Balikbayan Box Major Rule Changes

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Pending rule changes for shipping Balikbayan boxes.

Shipper must be Filipino Citizen and submit a copy of passport along with an itemized list of all contents.

Recipient must be immediate family member of overseas Filipino sender. 

Or.

A Foreigner may ship a box to Philippines but taxes will be collected from each itemized item in the box by the recipient.

We will no longer be sending any boxes to Philippines. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Shipper must be Filipino Citizen and submit a copy of passp

I read this is already being disputed because Filipino Citizens who become OFWs often become dual citizens.  It means they are still Filipino Citizens but may not even need to HAVE a passport any more, or if they do it may be one from a foreign country.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I read this is already being disputed because Filipino Citizens who become OFWs often become dual citizens.  It means they are still Filipino Citizens but may not even need to HAVE a passport any more, or if they do it may be one from a foreign country.

Yes and it has been clarified that on their US passport it quite clearly states Place of Birth  ie; PHILIPPINES Proof enough I think EH?

Dave, on your Canadian passport what does it say about Place of Birth?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Dave, on your Canadian passport what does it say about Place of Birth?

It says I was born in GBR but my point is, since becoming a Canadian citizen (at age 21) and still being a citizen of the UK (by birth) there were many years I lived in Canada and had no passport at all as it had expired, I had every right to live there, and I had no immediate plans to leave the country.  I can only presume there are many OFWs in the same situation.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It says I was born in GBR but my point is, since becoming a Canadian citizen (at age 21) and still being a citizen of the UK (by birth)

Well Dave as I see it IF someone's says you can only do it if you are a Brit You are by Birth and that is the Factor they seem to want, are you a Filipino, YES i was Born there.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Pending rule changes for shipping Balikbayan boxes.

Shipper must be Filipino Citizen and submit a copy of passport along with an itemized list of all contents.

Recipient must be immediate family member of overseas Filipino sender. 

Or.

A Foreigner may ship a box to Philippines but taxes will be collected from each itemized item in the box by the recipient.

We will no longer be sending any boxes to Philippines. 

Can we have a link to the news source ? 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's GMA Philippines video feed, I attempted to post it but was unable to do so.