Balikbayan Box Major Rule Changes

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Old55 said:

"Whereabouts Unknown" that's all those angry fathers and the authorities back home know in regards to Dave's present location. :whistling:

Oh, well it's a good thing Dave isn't his real name then LOL Right Larry?... Oh damn, I mean George... err Henry... ummm Joe... yup that's it, Hey Joe who are you hiding from??? :hystery:

• I'm Confused 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I emailed back that I'd be more than happy to pay as soon as they list what goods were being taxed. Needless to say they never got back to me and my goods arrived a few weeks later on my doorstep with no fees to pay.

Excellent counter punch Snowy!  I'm using this for future reference, thank you!  

• Like 2
  • I'm Confused 1

ponching1986
Posted
Posted

I will keep you posted, I shipped 2 boxes from NYC last week, lets see what happens. We been using LBC and they have been reliable.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2017 at 0:32 PM, ponching1986 said:

I will keep you posted, I shipped 2 boxes from NYC last week, lets see what happens. We been using LBC and they have been reliable.

What identification did you provide? Did you itemize each item inside? 

We were told last week a US driver license would be acceptable ID. Nothing to do with citizenship but contents must be itemized. The agency added there has been an angry backlash and the moronic lawmakers are backing off. Or so they said.

• Like 3

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just wondering what you guys think I'll run into. I shipped a box that was picked up at my dads house on June 21 by my shipper Global Cargo out of NJ, so before the rule was implemented or even came out. I'm in Maryland and they shipped out of NJ/NY on July 7 going to Cebu and I addressed to both myself and my American landlord. My guess is about $300-400 at US prices worth of stuff. Despite the fact that I shipped prior to  the new rules even being broadcast,  do you think BOC will wrongfully try to steal or tax me ? I visit the US every spring and always put together a box and yes it is to beat their import taxes and no I don't feel bad about it. My visa fees should more than cover my share of the tax burden here IMO. I have not a clue how much OFWs pay for their visas in my country the US however so maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it. My gf whose cuz and her husband that work for a seafood processor in Alaska says they don't pay for them but when she returns here in November I will ask her and also about taxes which my gf thinks they don't have to pay. That would be the old TAKE and SQUEEZE play wouldn't it ?

Edited by bang4dabuck
  • Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We have a box arriving in the next couple of weeks, we will have to wait and see.

• Like 2

ponching1986
Posted
Posted

Old 55. I showed my drivers license. No, I never itemized. General descriptions, used clothes, house hold items, can goods/groceries and personal effects. Been doing this for ages and no problem at all. My relatives are in Pasig, MM. Totally agreed, this is really stupid, just another way these A/H can demand kickbacks. LBC have been reliable for me here in NYC. 

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, ponching1986 said:

Totally agreed, this is really stupid, just another way these A/H can demand kickbacks.

Lets not go around calling people names and making assumptions. 

• Thanks 1

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

My shipping company said not to worry and that the tax is included in their price. Next time I will need an itemized list. Customs is after computers, other electric devices and new high end fashion apparel I guess in numbers. We'll see but I feel at ease about now.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Lets not go around calling people names and making assumptions. 

I'll tone it down in the future too JGF we don't know who all reads the forum.