New or 2nd hand

stevewool
Posted
Posted

No rush at all to buy straight away, plus do i want a car when i get there like many have said, but its better to have all the knowledge from you folk who have trod the path i am trying to follow.:smile:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, stevewool said:

its better to have all the knowledge from you folk who have trod the path i am trying to follow.

lost.jpg

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted

I vacillate back and forth on this issue as well, Steve. I will want a car - eventually. For my maximum budget I could buy a new car, as long as it were smallish and/or cheap. Or I could get a car I might prefer (or the wife might prefer) that's 5-6 years old. I like the idea of new, like the benefit of the insurance thrown in for a while, but don't like the knowledge that it won't look new for too long.

In the US I generally bought new cars. I had my own business for years and an unreliable car meant lost money. Then I went to work for someone else with a long commute. Again new was better.

But now I'm retired and the car will be for trips to the store; so the need will be less critical. After all there's San Miguel at the Sari Sari.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, davewe said:

I vacillate back and forth on this issue as well, Steve. I will want a car - eventually. For my maximum budget I could buy a new car, as long as it were smallish and/or cheap. Or I could get a car I might prefer (or the wife might prefer) that's 5-6 years old. I like the idea of new, like the benefit of the insurance thrown in for a while, but don't like the knowledge that it won't look new for too long.

In the US I generally bought new cars. I had my own business for years and an unreliable car meant lost money. Then I went to work for someone else with a long commute. Again new was better.

But now I'm retired and the car will be for trips to the store; so the need will be less critical. After all there's San Miguel at the Sari Sari.

One positive for buying new in the Philippines right now, for us dollar based guys, is the strength of the dollar vs. the peso.  You get a lot more for your dollar.

Yesterday we went to the Honda dealer in Angeles to take a looksee.  I have always been a Honda fan and since I was strongly considering buying a used one, I thought I should take a look at the new ones.

A brand new 2018 Honda City, top of the line, fully loaded, is about p 913,000.  When I calculated the dollars, I was pleasantly surprised! At today's rates, that is about $17,990, all in.  5 years ago when the exchange was 42 pesos, that same City would have cost  $21738.  Quite a savings!  The new City is really nice!  I was tempted!  Worth a look if you are considering a new car.

I guess the exchange rate benefit also applies to used cars too, but it was more apparent on the new ones.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

One positive for buying new in the Philippines right now, for us dollar based guys, is the strength of the dollar vs. the peso.  You get a lot more for your dollar.

Yesterday we went to the Honda dealer in Angeles to take a looksee.  I have always been a Honda fan and since I was strongly considering buying a used one, I thought I should take a look at the new ones.

A brand new 2018 Honda City, top of the line, fully loaded, is about p 913,000.  When I calculated the dollars, I was pleasantly surprised! At today's rates, that is about $17,990, all in.  5 years ago when the exchange was 42 pesos, that same City would have cost  $21738.  Quite a savings!  The new City is really nice!  I was tempted!  Worth a look if you are considering a new car.

I guess the exchange rate benefit also applies to used cars too, but it was more apparent on the new ones.

This is one of the best things when we work an live outside the Philippines , our cash can go a very long way, again work hard and save harder it does get you nice things when you are ready to spend that cash.

Isuzu mu-X looks good to me .

• Like 3

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Curious....Is there any bargaining wheeling dealing on new cars there, or is the list price The price?   

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nickleback99 said:

Curious....Is there any bargaining wheeling dealing on new cars there, or is the list price The price?   

As with most major Items "How will you pay Sir?")

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Much harder to accomplish as a new arrival in need of transportation. Many things become easier and cheaper once you have been here a while, not in a hurry to purchase, willing to look around, and ready to buy when the opportunity appears.

That is how I feel,I will be looking at getting a multicab soon but I will be patient and tell all the people I know here what I am looking for.I know some expats who have bought cars or other vehicles from expats who are leaving,they got good deals and the vehicles are usually looked far better than a local would have done. I personally would not buy a new car here as it is going to be bumped and kicked about by idiots who cannot drive. But at the end of the day each to their own the choice is your own.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Based on recent experience, there is, but very small if you are talking about a current model year vehicle.  Most of their "sale" promos are financing deals.  Usually they include tint and some accessories.  You might be able to get them to add more for free.

When they have older stock, you should be able to get a decent discount.  At the Honda dealer they had at 2016 Jazz that probably had not sold because of the yucky mustard yellow color that nobody likes except my wife.  We inquired about it and it had just sold for p50,000 off of the list price.

• Like 2