New or 2nd hand

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

AHA!  Now its your turn to be making assumptions :SugarwareZ-005:For cheap houses it is much easier to pay cash than finance them here.  Cars are expensive.  It is easier to finance them.  I had to pay cash for my house but I could finance a car (with wife or filipino co-signer) if I so desired.

True, I still have a bit of western thinking floating around my head. Much smaller overlap in the US of cars costing more than houses than there is here.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was talking to a friend today who has a condo in Subic, he's back in the uk at the moment and left his car to be sold at a local garage. Now a month later and no sale he asked a relation to pick up the car. Arrangements were made with the garage to collect the car and on arrival no sign of the car. A bit later the garage owner turn up with his family in the car and wonder of wonders the car had done 30,000km less than when he had left it.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

I was talking to a friend today who has a condo in Subic, he's back in the uk at the moment and left his car to be sold at a local garage. Now a month later and no sale he asked a relation to pick up the car. Arrangements were made with the garage to collect the car and on arrival no sign of the car. A bit later the garage owner turn up with his family in the car and wonder of wonders the car had done 30,000km than when he had left it.

1000km per day? are you sure the figures are right,seems to me it would be very difficult to do that amount on the roads here.Even driving it for a full 24 hours maybe you meant 3000.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I was talking to a friend today who has a condo in Subic, he's back in the uk at the moment and left his car to be sold at a local garage. Now a month later and no sale he asked a relation to pick up the car. Arrangements were made with the garage to collect the car and on arrival no sign of the car. A bit later the garage owner turn up with his family in the car and wonder of wonders the car had done 30,000km less than when he had left it.

Sounds to me either the garage owner is buying it at full asking price or it is lawyer time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Lobstered
Posted
Posted

After living here for three years, I recently decided to buy a car. Up until now I have been a never new always get a nearly new second hand car. But here after looking into the secondhand market decided to was just too much of a risk. Also cars do keep their vale better here so although of course you do take a bit hit in depreciation as soon as you drive it off the forecourt it is not as bad as other countries.

However it is turning out even buying a new car here is an experience. All the dealers were willing to offer a discount for cash. Some could not provide a car for a test drive. Some seemed totally uninterested in actually selling a car. 

Even when I put my order in it has turned out to be a complete shambles. I ordered a Ford Everest with and estimated delivery time of a week, here we are two months later still no car. I now have orders in for a Toyota Fortuner and Mistsubishi Montero Sport as well and neither of them have lived up to the one weeks delivery estimate either. 

So I will just go with whichever seller can actually deliver a car first. 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lobstered said:

After living here for three years, I recently decided to buy a car. Up until now I have been a never new always get a nearly new second hand car. But here after looking into the secondhand market decided to was just too much of a risk. Also cars do keep their vale better here so although of course you do take a bit hit in depreciation as soon as you drive it off the forecourt it is not as bad as other countries.

However it is turning out even buying a new car here is an experience. All the dealers were willing to offer a discount for cash. Some could not provide a car for a test drive. Some seemed totally uninterested in actually selling a car. 

Even when I put my order in it has turned out to be a complete shambles. I ordered a Ford Everest with and estimated delivery time of a week, here we are two months later still no car. I now have orders in for a Toyota Fortuner and Mistsubishi Montero Sport as well and neither of them have lived up to the one weeks delivery estimate either. 

So I will just go with whichever seller can actually deliver a car first. 

What happens if they all turn up together, will it be Eeny meeny miny , I will have that one.

• Haha 1

Lobstered
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

What happens if they all turn up together, will it be Eeny meeny miny , I will have that one.

I will go with the Ford as that was my first choice but for me there is very little between the three vehicles bit I slightly preferred the Ford.

To be clear this will cost me as I have to pay an order fee for each order. I might be able to argue with Ford that they should return that as they have failed after so long to deliver the car but I am not expecting it.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2017 at 7:17 AM, Nickleback99 said:

Curious....Is there any bargaining wheeling dealing on new cars there, or is the list price The price?   

Hi Nickleback,

Yes in our experience there is always room for some wheeling and dealing. Often a trade in at a dealership will give you more leverage, and discounts too.

My husband and I never bought a  vehicle in the States new,  and my husband is good with cars so we have had good fortune with used. My husband bought my Kia on OLX and his Honda motorcycle there too with good results. We recently purchased a used Isuzu Altera SUV from a nice dealership in Mandaue, Cebu, and are really happy with it. Buying a new vehicle would be great I suppose, but quite a lot of money in general, or to free up for the investment. Not sure if a multicab is considered new--being that they are surplus. As an aside our multicab has been so useful to us in so many ways since we moved here,. It's a workhorse and go-to delivery vehicle.

Parts and labor here are much cheaper if repairs are needed, and if you can find a clever and reliable mechanic (there are many) your maintenance and repairs can be quite decent.

To each his own I guess, depending on one's preference and desires. I guess also that if one wants to finance a vehicle you would have to go through a dealership. OLX and private sales would require a  total cash payment.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you buy the right car 2nd hand, it is a far better proposition.  As soon as you drive a new out of the dealership, kiss 15% of your money good by.

I am about to take possession of a 2nd hand Toyota Vios E, 2015, 14k on the clock.  515k pesos, compared to 800k new, so to me it is a no brainer. The guy has a genuine reason for selling -  bought a car for his mother, but she can no longer drive, so they have an extra car they don't need.  I know what I would rather have in my pocket 285k pesos or zero on the clock!!!

Plus he has a very high position in local government, from a well to do family and well known in town.  No likely to be running around dudding people (unless he is a politician of course).  But he listens to religious stuff in his car all day, why I am not sure, but is a very honest guy - I have been around long enough to, in the main, know a good one from a bad one.  Car checks out at LTO original owner, full dealer service details.

But yes, if you are not careful buying 2nd hand can be a huge problem.

Edited by mogo51
alzimers.
  • Like 4