New or 2nd hand

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

am about to take possession of a 2nd hand Toyota Vios E, 2015, 14k on the clock.  515k pesos, compared to 800k new, so to me it is a no brainer. The guy has a genuine reason for selling -  bought a car for his mother, but she can no longer drive, so they have an extra car they don't need.  I know what I would rather have in my pocket 285k pesos or zero on the clock!!!

AbsoFRIGGINlutely agree.  I think you did fantastic on that deal.  BUT only because you know the people who are selling it to you.  A car like that could have easily been a taxi for 3 years with the odometer disconnected and that would cause the price to be low.  You have to know your stuff but you have done you due diligence so High Five!

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 7/23/2017 at 3:09 PM, OnMyWay said:

I think you missed something.  Or I did.  He said

30,000 km LESS.  So, for example, it had 80,000 on it, and the mechanic rolled it back to 50,000.

I'm fairly certain he would have been pulled over in Subic if he drove around backwards for 30,000 km.  Not allowed here.

Maybe the guy won't want to sell it now.  It has low mileage!

Oops my bad.

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I am about to take possession of a 2nd hand Toyota Vios E, 2015, 14k on the clock.  515k pesos, compared to 800k new, so to me it is a no brainer. The guy has a genuine reason for selling -  bought a car for his mother, but she can no longer drive, so they have an extra car they don't need.  I know what I would rather have in my pocket 285k pesos or zero on the clock!!!

Sounds so familiar!  The seller of my Brio said he bought it for his mother but now she is spending most of her time in Finland, so the wife got a learners permit and has been learning to drive in it.  That is probably how it got the two dings in it that he agreed to fix, and did.  In any case, I know the guy is legit and is an engineer at PTT.  Plenty of pictures of him and his family in various places in Europe on FB, so they have some money, and family in Finland.

So, if you have some time and luck, like Mogo and I, you can find a recent model used car that is not abused, for a good price.

BTW, after driving a big Trailblazer for 2 years, driving the little Brio is a lot of fun!

• Haha 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 8/2/2017 at 0:52 PM, OnMyWay said:

Sounds so familiar!  The seller of my Brio said he bought it for his mother but now she is spending most of her time in Finland, so the wife got a learners permit and has been learning to drive in it.  That is probably how it got the two dings in it that he agreed to fix, and did.  In any case, I know the guy is legit and is an engineer at PTT.  Plenty of pictures of him and his family in various places in Europe on FB, so they have some money, and family in Finland.

So, if you have some time and luck, like Mogo and I, you can find a recent model used car that is not abused, for a good price.

BTW, after driving a big Trailblazer for 2 years, driving the little Brio is a lot of fun!

Now have possession and a very smooth transition.  Pick yup Deed of Sale (which he provided) on Tuesday as we are going to Manila tomorrow to see SO's family (Im excited).  But no issue, the guy is an absolute gentleman and pleasure to do business with.  More importantly, I now have a friend at Local Council!!!! double win.

Car is nice to drive.  Got Insurance thru bank manager for 14k full comprehensive except for acts of God (as he does not know who I am), same company as Manager has his car with  (that I nearly bought) but listened to the members and bought a Toyota.  Dealership 1km up the road.

Manager tells me they are good company but we will see.  But hopefully, never have to.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Now have possession and a very smooth transition.  Pick yup Deed of Sale (which he provided) on Tuesday as we are going to Manila tomorrow to see SO's family (Im excited).  But no issue, the guy is an absolute gentleman and pleasure to do business with.  More importantly, I now have a friend at Local Council!!!! double win.

Car is nice to drive.  Got Insurance thru bank manager for 14k full comprehensive except for acts of God (as he does not know who I am), same company as Manager has his car with  (that I nearly bought) but listened to the members and bought a Toyota.  Dealership 1km up the road.

Manager tells me they are good company but we will see.  But hopefully, never have to.

Very cool that added forum knowledge to your own and use the combination plus a little luck to very quickly solve your transportation needs. Now you need to sprinkle that fairy dust on a place to live and an internet connection and you will be on top of the world. :SugarwareZ-005:

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

Very cool that added forum knowledge to your own and use the combination plus a little luck to very quickly solve your transportation needs. Now you need to sprinkle that fairy dust on a place to live and an internet connection and you will be on top of the world. :SugarwareZ-005:

Yes, I am working on that RT, I did fall on my feet for the car.  The resort is on the National Highway although there is no traffic noise as we are up the back, but the traffic is very treacherous.  I am having a rethink about a bike at the moment, as they sure are Kamikaze drivers here, same as  Thailand, but perhaps a little worse.  Still I did manage to survive there and only got knocked off the bike once in that time.

Lobstered
Posted
Posted

A little update on my car. I thought yesterday that Ford were going to win the race to provide me with a car. Yesterday they phoned to say that the car I had ordered had arrived and that I could pick it up today.

Then this morning they phoned to say the car has arrived but it had arrived so badly damaged that they have to return it to Ford, 

They have promised that they will have another car delivered next week.

Still no word from Toyota or Mitsubishi on when the cars I ordered from them will show up, both now over two weeks for orders they promised in one week.

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

We bought a 10yr old nissan urvan from a friend of the family.

Me being me we had all the lights replaced and a new battery.

Ran like a dream. After 4 yrs we sold it to a brother.

Then last year we bought a new Suzuki Ertiga.

Came with a years comp insurance which cost us 22000 to renew this year.

Which is insured with BPI insurance,  we had an accident when one of the folding gates broke off as it was being closed, and fell onto the back of the car, within 2 weeks it was repaired  , we had to pay 3200 pesos.

Thinking now of maybe trading it in next year in March for a Nissan Navara if the wife lets me 😂

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lobstered said:

A little update on my car. I thought yesterday that Ford were going to win the race to provide me with a car. Yesterday they phoned to say that the car I had ordered had arrived and that I could pick it up today.

Then this morning they phoned to say the car has arrived but it had arrived so badly damaged that they have to return it to Ford, 

They have promised that they will have another car delivered next week.

Still no word from Toyota or Mitsubishi on when the cars I ordered from them will show up, both now over two weeks for orders they promised in one week.

I wonder if your car came in and they sold it on the spot to someone else? Maybe a little line jumping going on or a walk in?

• Like 1