An out of luck Expat who has joined the masses of people begging on the streets of the Philippines.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was starting to feel annoyed by all of the aggressive beggars who always hit me up for ₱esos--i.e., they literally hit me in the arm(s), leg(s), shoulder(s), etc. and sometimes, I even get followed through the streets by them, even as I cross the streets (as if I was being stalked).

BUT now, I’ll stop complaining because I just saw this:

So, I guess that you never know when you can become an out of luck Expat who has joined the masses of people begging on the streets of the Philippines.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The beggars that annoy me are the ones who stand outside a shop doorway when you are struggling with bags and trying to get past.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Beggars they are everywhere, is that the right word for them, i am sure it wont be long before its banned and you ill be called a raceist for saying this word here in England.

I do try to give to who i think needs it in my eyes, those with bloody dogs lying along side or with cups asking for this and that i just walk past.

In Florida we was approached by this well dress conman asking for a few dollars to get some fuel for his car, yes i must have had a happy pill as i gave him a few dollars , but afterwards i knew i had been had, so it does happen everywhere .

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Beggars they are everywhere, is that the right word for them, i am sure it wont be long before its banned and you ill be called a raceist for saying this word here in England.

Are you talking about Spare Change Collection Engineers by chance? 

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

IMHO, whether the Foreigner (in the YouTube video) is right or wrong, you can see that Filipinos can be very generous to Expats.

Personally, I still get annoyed by beggars (especially, the con-men/con-women and the aggressive types that touch me and stalk me) BUT I’m starting to rethink how I should deal with beggars. 

Maybe that could be another topic for another day  confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

stevewool
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Are you talking about Spare Change Collection Engineers by chance? 

Yes maybe , in Barcelona the other week you see the folk sitting with there blankets and there dogs and now they have the little cups placed in front of them and written on each cup is BEER , DRUGS and DOG FOOD.

The amount of stupid folk walking past saying AHHHHHH, look at that and they stroke the dogs and put cash into the dog food cup.

These people who beg are very cunning and its gangs of them moving from place to place exchanging dogs between themselves knowing that dog lovers over the world will give money for a dog rather then to a human being .

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

The little kids in Malate are the worst I've seen. They sit with their parents near the bars that foreigners go to. Some are under three years old and when they see a foreigner they jump off of their parents laps and run towards the foreigners making crying sounds and saying daddy, daddy while holding their hands out.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It is not just the beggars but the aggressive helpers. As an example, when my wife and I were flying back to the US a few years ago we had to use a smaller unfamiliar bus line to get us from Subic to Manila. This bus line didn't have their own terminal so they pulled in to a general bus terminal. No security there and the helpers for your bags, to get taxi's, etc. were very aggressive and overwhelming. We had six suitcases to keep track of. 2 large and 1 carry on each, plus purse and backpack. Even with my FIL and a cousin accompanying us. That is one of the few times I have felt very uncomfortable in a situation while in the Philippines.

• Like 4