An out of luck Expat who has joined the masses of people begging on the streets of the Philippines.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, earthdome said:

but the aggressive helpers

Thanks for raising my blood pressure Earth...I am with you on this one. If I need help picking out a parking space or parking my car in a wide open parking space, or as you say hailing a cab, (the BI office in Manila is a prime example) then it is time for me to stop leaving the house.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, scott h said:

Thanks for raising my blood pressure Earth...I am with you on this one. If I need help picking out a parking space or parking my car in a wide open parking space, or as you say hailing a cab, (the BI office in Manila is a prime example) then it is time for me to stop leaving the house.

You are most welcome. As I recall one of those helpers was trying to arrange a tax from EDSA not too far from MOA to World Resort for around 900 peso. Now we did need a larger taxi due to our baggage, even so, that is excessive. I think we ended up finding one for 300 or 400 pesos. Still more than what we should have paid but we just wanted to get away from that bus terminal.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Scratching Head.jpg Maybe it is me (I don't know) but can I be a little rude and ask, what has these helpers and bag carriers (Who are just trying to get a little rice money legally or not) got to do with Mark Berkowitz (The OP) topic on Expat beggars ?  Are we going to see this Topic turned into the Scams of Luggage porters?

Sorry Boss & Mods but Mark has raised a thing that I really do believe holds some water and given the amount of bad luck Stories of late  I think we should concentrate on it and maybe someone can Start another Topic on Depot Scams and such like

Jack:smile:

Morning all:morning1: ( Having had a Weekend of Family continually changing Subjects so not to get to the real root of things

Edited by Jack Peterson
Spelling AGAIN
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Expat beggars

Speaking of whih, just this past Saturday in the Mall of Asia area (this is a relatively high end area, wide streets, traffic signals, lines marking traffic lanes, lol) We saw a European looking gent doing the Southern California thing of walking up and down the center divide with a cardboard sign which read "vacation from hell, no money, no food, please help, God Bless". And like in Southern California folks just stared straight ahead and ignored him.

He looked ragged, unwashed and most likely in need of another drink. In my view, I see lots of Filipinos salvaging garbage, if he is hungry one hour of looking for plastic bottles will buy him a serving of tapas and rice.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, i am bob said:

yes, it is against the law to give money to beggars.

Correct.  And don't get caught as its a 30 pesos fine for breaking that law!

EDIT:  Oops, Its only 20 pesos LOL

Any person who abets mendicancy by giving alms directly to mendicants, exploited infants and minors on public roads, sidewalks, parks and bridges shall be punished by a fine nor exceeding P20.00.

EDIT:  Oops again.  Seems the legal definition of alms includes:

ALMS. In its most extensive sense, this comprehends every species of relief bestowed upon the poor, and, therefore,including all charities. In a more, limited sense, it signifies what is given by public authority for the relief of the poor.

As I see it that would include giving food, but ya know what?  I've done it and risked the 20 peso fine and so far have not got caught, I don't go around telling people its legal.  Ya just do what ya gotta do :hystery:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, scott h said:

He looked ragged, unwashed and most likely in need of another drink. In my view, I see lots of Filipinos salvaging garbage, if he is hungry one hour of looking for plastic bottles will buy him a serving of tapas and rice.

I guess Philippines will have it's  share of drunken Expats

But from the discription you have given, personally  I think that his demise  may be as a result of robbery  or being conned.

Just my thoughts JB

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sorry Boss & Mods but Mark has raised a thing that I really do believe holds some water and given the amount of bad luck Stories of late  I think we should concentrate on it

You are SO correct Jack.  But here's where it all goes sour:

When someone posts in a thread, there is a notice for a new post which I have not read.  I go direct to the new post, read and respond.  SOMETIMES I go back a few posts to see if the new post is following the current trend in the thread.  On rare occasions I go to the Original Post to be sure we are on topic.  But lets face it, many of us are suffering from Adult attention deficit disorder 

I have now edited the title of the topic to reflect what we are supposed to be discussing.  MEMBERS:  Keep in mind when you make a title for your threads that other members often consider the title IS the topic so please be specific.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Correct.  And don't get caught as its a 30 pesos fine for breaking that law!

EDIT:  Oops, Its only 20 pesos LOL

EDIT:  Oops again.  Seems the legal definition of alms includes:

As I see it that would include giving food, but ya know what?  I've done it and risked the 20 peso fine and so far have not got caught, I don't go around telling people its legal.  Ya just do what ya gotta do :hystery:

I'm trying to work but these emails keep popping in...  Lol!

Somewhere, I'm not sure where now and I don't have time to look, for the purposes of that law, it was defined as currency that could be used to purchase substances such as booze or drugs, as well as contributing to human trafficking...  Food was mentioned but passed over due to the Good Samaritan laws..  maybe I was watching something on Congress or the Senate?  

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I had a man come and sit by me in Mango ave Cebu city.He was telling me about the big house he has and how much money he had then hit me up for a smoke.Then he tries to borrow money from me.I suppose anybody can fall on hard times I just hope it never happens to me.

• Like 1