Philippines Nuclear Plant Opening

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

There has been talk of the Philippines finishing the Nuclear Power Plant that had been put on hold so long ago the refurbishment needed nearly equals the original estimate. I wonder if the plan is to continue with the Light Water Reactor design (with risk of flash steam explosion, hydrogen explosion, and meltdown) or move forward to a Liquid Fueled Thorium Reactor (with risk of... well nothing, it is pretty dang safe).

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont think it will ever open. I believe it is a tourist attraction only.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

There has been talk of the Philippines finishing the Nuclear Power Plant

It comes up every decade or so.  Notice the date on the last time I remember it being discussed.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have never been really convinced about Nuclear energy, simply because they  have no ability to secure it when there is a problem ie. Russia and Japan.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

ie. Russia and Japan.

:thumbsup:  And 3 mile island in the US. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I have never been really convinced about Nuclear energy, simply because they  have no ability to secure it when there is a problem ie. Russia and Japan.

Well I have to apologize to our "David" here first, Canada came up first because it is an Alphabetical but I link the Nuclear accident list for all to see. I believe this is since Chernobyl in 1986, I may be wrong but anyway it is all I can offer at this time;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Did you read my second sentence in post #1? Obviously did not watch the video as it starts with this exact subject. Heavy and Light Water Reactors (the kind in use today still) are operated under extreme pressure and rely on water for cooling. The result is possible water pressure explosion flashing steam instantly expanding to 1,000 times the volume, hydrogen explosion to to chemical reaction of the fuel, meltdown if water (coolant) is lost. A Molten Salt Thorium Reactor is not operated at pressure so can't explode and the fuel is in the molten salt (already liquid) so can not meltdown. In a catastrophic failure, no power, all people leave, physics takes over and the reactor turns itself off (walk away safe).

Also, the current solid fuel reactors are only able to use up to 0.7% of the fuel in the fuel rods before the rods are unsafe to use in the reactor. Having the fuel in liquid form allows efficiency to climb over 99.0%. Why aren't these used everywhere? The current Nuclear Industry makes all it's money from Uranium fuel production, processing, and storage.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well I have to apologize to our "David" here first, Canada came up first

embarrased  man.jpg OH there was problems in Belgium but no details so Canada is still first on the List where they give the problems occurred 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Canada came up first

Wow!  Canada was the first!  I did not know that.  Thanks for the link:

3:07 p.m. Friday, December 12, 1952 Ontario, Canada The world's first major nuclear reactor accident

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well I have to apologize to our "David" here first, Canada came up first because it is an Alphabetical but I link the Nuclear accident list for all to see. I believe this is since Chernobyl in 1986, I may be wrong but anyway it is all I can offer at this time;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

The problem with any nuclear accident list is that it is only applicable to the current high pressure design. Very similar to using old steam train engine accident data to show why diesel trains are dangerous. 

• Like 2