Philippines Nuclear Plant Opening

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Edit: Malawi, a landlocked country in southeastern Africa,

Thanks, its that dang auto-correct on my browser.  I will edit.  I meant the Islamic city of Marawi, in Mindanao

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Now for something completely different.  My answer is YES, if they build it in the Islamic city of Marawi, Mindanao, and use local labor to build it.  If it works, great.  If it blows up . . . .  well lets just say its a win-win

Big Bada BOOM

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/24/2017 at 9:29 AM, AlwaysRt said:

Did you read my second sentence in post #1? Obviously did not watch the video as it starts with this exact subject. Heavy and Light Water Reactors (the kind in use today still) are operated under extreme pressure and rely on water for cooling. The result is possible water pressure explosion flashing steam instantly expanding to 1,000 times the volume, hydrogen explosion to to chemical reaction of the fuel, meltdown if water (coolant) is lost. A Molten Salt Thorium Reactor is not operated at pressure so can't explode and the fuel is in the molten salt (already liquid) so can not meltdown. In a catastrophic failure, no power, all people leave, physics takes over and the reactor turns itself off (walk away safe).

Also, the current solid fuel reactors are only able to use up to 0.7% of the fuel in the fuel rods before the rods are unsafe to use in the reactor. Having the fuel in liquid form allows efficiency to climb over 99.0%. Why aren't these used everywhere? The current Nuclear Industry makes all it's money from Uranium fuel production, processing, and storage.

I did not watch the video as here where we have camped since arrival on 15th has very poor internet, mostly none. Owner too miserable to put up an antennae like every other house has!!!  So apologies.  But at least we are at one.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/24/2017 at 9:26 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Well I have to apologize to our "David" here first, Canada came up first because it is an Alphabetical but I link the Nuclear accident list for all to see. I believe this is since Chernobyl in 1986, I may be wrong but anyway it is all I can offer at this time;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

Yes Jack, agree with RT, they just do not know what to do in the event of a disaster, other than hope and pray.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/24/2017 at 9:14 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

:thumbsup:  And 3 mile island in the US. 

Thanks Dave.