Methersgate
Posted
Posted

From the BBC today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40697373

Looks like opportinistic robbery. 

The lessons to take away are: 

be careful

carry good insurance (which may well be void if you go to Mindanao at the moment...)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Methersgate said:

From the BBC today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40697373

Looks like opportinistic robbery. 

The lessons to take away are: 

be careful

carry good insurance (which may well be void if you go to Mindanao at the moment...)

Although this story say Cebu city another says Talisay city. 

Barangay Bulacao, Talisay City 

Read more: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2017/07/21/3-gunmen-rob-injure-foreigner-talisay-554263

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I know the area and that mall very well. The mall closes about 10PM, the area nearby is very busy and not very safe even during the daytime. 20 years ago I would walk around "Old" Talisay late evenings without a care about ten years ago it became unsafe after dark IMO.

The BBC article says more or less; Standing out in front of a store early hours of Thursday three men on a bike demand his wallet he refused a commotion ended in gunfire. Called an ambulance none came after awhile a "rickshaw" took him to a local hospital. He has no money a go fund me page is started now. He had 500 Peso in his wallet. 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

its has just come up on BBC news ,hes from Milngavie near glasgow ,reports suggest that he would not give his wallet over ,for 500 peso,s they could have mine.

Another report suggests that he was shot after he gave over his wallet

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I have no personal knowledge of the incident nor the young man involved, I base this comment only on walking the earth for 60 years and 33 years of trying to keep young men who have had a bit to drink and feel 12 feet tall out of trouble. This whole incident kould have been avoided just by not being out drinking with locals late at night in an area that might be a bit sketchy. This should be in the topic "drinking in the Philippines". Prime example of why foreigners should emulate our early cave man ancestors. When the sun goes down head back to the cave and stay there till the sun comes up.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

Most people here are aware locals shoot quickly, give your wallet if challenged.

Friend of mine was approached by a well dressed man in SM car park, he was in car. After lowering window this person poked a gun through and demanded his wallet,  like many he had a spare wallet prepared, few hundred pesos and fake cards. The robber said salamat and smiled, walked away, my friend lived.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

I have no personal knowledge of the incident nor the young man involved, I base this comment only on walking the earth for 60 years and 33 years of trying to keep young men who have had a bit to drink and feel 12 feet tall out of trouble. This whole incident kould have been avoided just by not being out drinking with locals late at night in an area that might be a bit sketchy. This should be in the topic "drinking in the Philippines". Prime example of why foreigners should emulate our early cave man ancestors. When the sun goes down head back to the cave and stay there till the sun comes up.

I must have read a different story. What I read was he was standing outside a convenience store. Said nothing about drinking or drinking with locals. Could have been out to get an early morning bite to eat, smokes or bottle of water but who knows. I sometimes go out at night and will not hide under the bed once it's dark as the same thing can happen in any country.

I think the rule of any robbery is just give it to them and in most cases that will be the end of it.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

In the sunstar article it referenced his drinking (I don't want to post the link again and it wont let me just paste the quote)

28 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I must have read a different story

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, scott h said:

In the sunstar article it referenced his drinking (I don't want to post the link again and it wont let me just paste the quote)

You are correct in the second article. Drinking with a Fiancee may not mean he was drunk but who knows. :smile:

Alex Manabat of the Talisay City Police Station said that Tareq Naggar, 44, was drinking with his fiancé when the culprits on board a motorcycle parked in front of them.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

but who knows

Exatly, as I said in my post originally 

2 hours ago, scott h said:

I have no personal knowledge of the incident nor the young man involved,