Cebu to Dumaguete Transportation Recommendation?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I have a friend thinking of flying in to Cebu to come visit in a few months. I never have quite figured out the trip options between Cebu and Duma but know many have gone back and forth several times. What are the bus and fast ferry options? One better than the other? How long do they take and how much is a ticket? Which way do you recomend him traveling from Cebu airport?

(I feel like this has been discussed often but it never has sunk into my brain) :bonk:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, AlwaysRt said:

Which way do you recomend him traveling from Cebu airport?

If the Timing is right why not Fly?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

If the Timing is right why not Fly?

He might, but has been traveling 19 years (currently in Guatemala) and is much richer in time than he is cash. For him it is less about convenience and more about price.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

He might, but has been traveling 19 years (currently in Guatemala) and is much richer in time than he is cash. For him it is less about convenience and more about price.

Are you meeting him? I ask this because it is one hell of a journey from mactan to Dumaguete by road on your own. Now how about getting a taxi or busy to the ferry port in Cebu and get the Overnight Ferry Straight to Dumaguete, not too expensive I believe Dave H" has information on that ferry line, Maybe you could contact him about it.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

For him it is less about convenience and more about price.

It also has a lot to do with timing.  If the timing works then the cokaliong boat works.

http://www.cokaliongshipping.com/#

A 320 peso cheap ticket.  Leaves Cebu at 7pm 5 days a week.  Gets to Dumaguete between 1 and 2 am.  Least hassle but that is in the cheap bunks.  Still, at that time of night its cool enough and the trip is not long (6 hours).

The other alternative, at about the same price, is to go to the South Bus Terminal and catch a Ceres Bus all the way to Dumaguete.  (It will go across the strait on a barge so be prepared to pay the ferryman).  This option is good for earlier in the day as the barges do not run all night.

Or you could take the bus as far as Liloan Port, Santander, and cross on a fast craft, pump boat, or Maayo ferry.  That takes you to Sibulan where you can catch the Jeepney into town.  (Don't take the tricycle unless you have a lot of luggage as they gouge ya).

Each of these options are similar in price and air travel has been mentioned already.  Do you need more options?

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Do you need more options?

Nope, thanks. I was just going to let him know about price and duration of bus and ferry each way.

Sounds like that ferry is your preferred route unless the timing doesn't work? Won't know his timing until he is looking at flights. He will be coming from Thailand.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Sounds like that ferry is your preferred route unless the timing doesn't work?

I prefer the more complicated third option because I live in Sibulan and like to travel earlier in the day.  I would not recommend that to a first timer.

If I wanted to leave Cebu late in the day, or if I was tired and fresh off the plane, or if I was a first timer then the Cokaliong ferry would be my preferred route.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

We have taken the bus south many times. Over the years it has improved and it seems like we generally get a modern aircon bus, sometimes with wifi. So now that we are just about ready to get on the plane for the permanent move, I assumed we should take the plane. But wait - 20 kg limit and we each have 2 large suitcases plus my guitar. So back to the bus. But this time we will take our time and stop over in the middle, sleep, have a good meal and then continue to Dumaguete the next day!

Bottom line is the buses have improved and it's not bad to take them if he is not in a rush.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, davewe said:

We have taken the bus south many times. Over the years it has improved and it seems like we generally get a modern aircon bus, sometimes with wifi. So now that we are just about ready to get on the plane for the permanent move, I assumed we should take the plane. But wait - 20 kg limit and we each have 2 large suitcases plus my guitar. So back to the bus. But this time we will take our time and stop over in the middle, sleep, have a good meal and then continue to Dumaguete the next day!

Bottom line is the buses have improved and it's not bad to take them if he is not in a rush.

Your post sparked a memory. Seems in the last month or so I read in a forum somewhere Duma to Cebu busses, both with and without aircon, have become overloaded recently. Many people standing in the isles with various body parts intruding on passengers in the isle seats. Anyone taken the trip lately to be able to confirm or deny? Maybe the ferry is the way to go?

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Your post sparked a memory. Seems in the last month or so I read in a forum somewhere Duma to Cebu busses, both with and without aircon, have become overloaded recently. Many people standing in the isles with various body parts intruding on passengers in the isle seats. Anyone taken the trip lately to be able to confirm or deny? Maybe the ferry is the way to go?

There are definitely parts of the trip south and north that get crowded and can be standing room only. But since you are starting in Cebu or Duma you should have a seat from the get go. The crowd also depends on the time of day or night.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2